cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External work required?

infusion
Joining in

Hey everyone,

I recently signed up to VM as I was not happy with my other provider and an engineer visited my property yesterday on the 19th however was not able to do anything and said it was a “2 man job”, I contacted VM where they requested me to give details on the outside boundary of my house. I have a brick driveway that was recently done, I believe they will need to pull the cables from the fibre cabinet to my house. 

I have two concerns, my first concern being will they ruin my new driveway by installing this? How would they install this, would they lift the bricks of my drive and lay down the wire to the outside wall of my house? If that’s the case, am I able to request the positioning of the cable as I’ve seen online how they choose the most “quickest route” for them to install and they look awful…

I’ve also seen a lot of posts in the past regarding how other VM customers have not had their internet installed for months because the engineers keep rescheduling?

9 REPLIES 9

lotharmat
Community elder
Never cancel your old BB until the new one is up and running...

Depending on the work and VMs outsourcing of the work; it could, indeed, take a good while.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @infusion 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry for the install delay, from checking the system this is due to a non-visible tee. 

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@infusion wrote:

Hey everyone,

I recently signed up to VM as I was not happy with my other provider and an engineer visited my property yesterday on the 19th however was not able to do anything and said it was a “2 man job”, I contacted VM where they requested me to give details on the outside boundary of my house. I have a brick driveway that was recently done, I believe they will need to pull the cables from the fibre cabinet to my house. 

I have two concerns, my first concern being will they ruin my new driveway by installing this? How would they install this, would they lift the bricks of my drive and lay down the wire to the outside wall of my house? If that’s the case, am I able to request the positioning of the cable as I’ve seen online how they choose the most “quickest route” for them to install and they look awful…

I’ve also seen a lot of posts in the past regarding how other VM customers have not had their internet installed for months because the engineers keep rescheduling?

well you have had VM in the thread and no answers - lets hope any conversation by PM is better or maybe they have not a clue how to answer your questions as they will have no control over what happens so saying nothing is better i guess

what will happen is that the cable be that coax or fibre will be put out to outside contractors who will do what they think best unless you are there - they will take up block paving - how well it goes back is in the lap of the gods - its said they are expert at putting it back but the would say that i guess - but they will look for the easiest quickest way which may be via your garden on bailed to a fence - you can be sure they will do that if you are not there to object and being there is in the lap of the gods as there is no date or plane when they will come - someday in the next week - month - year - you may see vans appear and disappear if it all looks too much

staff could have told you all of that and being positive may by pm but are highly unlikely to as i doubt most of them have not much idea how the install happens

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for your input Tony but I did actually answer. See the no visible tee bit in my reply. The PM is basically because the OP has raised an issue about the cabling so we want to ensure this is fully noted for his cabling on install.

Thanks as always though and have a lovely day 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@John_GS wrote:

Thanks for your input Tony but I did actually answer. See the no visible tee bit in my reply. The PM is basically because the OP has raised an issue about the cabling so we want to ensure this is fully noted for his cabling on install.

Thanks as always though and have a lovely day 🙂

i CAN read John and saw your answer - i accept its info that needs to be on the account but what about the other questions from the OP - theres certainly no public reply to those - to the OP the visible Tee is hardly likely to be at the front of his mind - a VM/contractor cowboy tech ruining his block paving is

and felicitations back to you John - hope your day is good

for ref this is part of what the OP asked

I have two concerns, my first concern being will they ruin my new driveway by installing this? How would they install this, would they lift the bricks of my drive and lay down the wire to the outside wall of my house? If that’s the case, am I able to request the positioning of the cable as I’ve seen online how they choose the most “quickest route” for them to install and they look awful

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Felicitations to you also Tony 🙂 (I had to Google the word). People like me don't use posh phrases haha. 

There doesn't need to be a public reply to those Tony. How the forums work is that we would if needed, PM people to discuss things that are based on the system checks we do.

For example, this one, we've (me) done a system check and there is an update concerning the two things raised. 

I will therefore discuss this via PM and then report back publicly on the thread 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend 🙂 

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi I sent a message last Friday and still haven't received a response...

@-tony- wrote:

@infusion wrote:

Hey everyone,

well you have had VM in the thread and no answers - lets hope any conversation by PM is better or maybe they have not a clue how to answer your questions as they will have no control over what happens so saying nothing is better i guess

what will happen is that the cable be that coax or fibre will be put out to outside contractors who will do what they think best unless you are there - they will take up block paving - how well it goes back is in the lap of the gods - its said they are expert at putting it back but the would say that i guess - but they will look for the easiest quickest way which may be via your garden on bailed to a fence - you can be sure they will do that if you are not there to object and being there is in the lap of the gods as there is no date or plane when they will come - someday in the next week - month - year - you may see vans appear and disappear if it all looks too much

staff could have told you all of that and being positive may by pm but are highly unlikely to as i doubt most of them have not much idea how the install happens

Well to be honest I'd prefer them not to even touch my driveway at all, if they can use my fence instead that would be more ideal but I appreciate your input in this

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

then ask for a pre install visit at which you will have to be there and go through it with them - even that is not fool proof as they may still do it their way on the day but you have a better chance of things being as you want

Tony.
Sacked VIP