cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Router setup

JDPalmer237
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm looking at setting up an external Router and putting my Hub into Modem mode. The plan is to have the Router placed in my hallway, have an ethernet cable run under the floor back to my Hub situated in the corner of my living room next to the virgin TV box.

My only concern is that there's an ethernet cable linked from my hub to my Virgin TV. Does this mean I need to run multiple ethernet cables from my Router (one connecting the hub to the router, then one from the router to the Virgin TV?) or can I leave the hub connected to the TV even though it's in modem mode?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers J

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jka94036
Superfast

Only one Ethernet port will be active on the hub in modem mode, which will plug into th WAN port on your new router. So you will need to connect the virgin TV box to the router (and any other device you want to connect via Ethernet.

hope that helps

John

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes run two Ethernet cables (two different colours will help) of CAT6 that are shielded so as to support 10Gb.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jka94036
Superfast

Only one Ethernet port will be active on the hub in modem mode, which will plug into th WAN port on your new router. So you will need to connect the virgin TV box to the router (and any other device you want to connect via Ethernet.

hope that helps

John

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes run two Ethernet cables (two different colours will help) of CAT6 that are shielded so as to support 10Gb.

---------------------------------------------------------------