cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending WiFi to the garden office

Rodrigb
Joining in

Hi everyone, 

I’ve just installed a garden office with cat 7 Ethernet. But I would also like WiFi. I have a Hub 4 in the front of the house and a virgin WiFi booster at the back, garden end. The office is approx 25m from the booster. I wanted to try another virgin booster but they are impossible to contact, so considering buying a different brand(eg. Netgear) or a mesh solution. Could anyone advise please? 
Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

The very best option would be to run a length of Cat 6 external ethernet cable from the Hub to the garden office with a gigabit enabled Wi-Fi router on the office end set as a wireless access point.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Not to mention that low-brow booster solutions probably won't work as the garden office is likely to be on its own electrical circuit, and powerline booster perform badly or not at all when trying to link across different circuits.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

The very best option would be to run a length of Cat 6 external ethernet cable from the Hub to the garden office with a gigabit enabled Wi-Fi router on the office end set as a wireless access point.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Not to mention that low-brow booster solutions probably won't work as the garden office is likely to be on its own electrical circuit, and powerline booster perform badly or not at all when trying to link across different circuits.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Good advice above. Mike says use a wifi router - if you have one lying around then you are sorted - if buying new then that is probably overkill as you are paying for router functionality that you done want/need. A wireless access point +/- a 1GB unmanaged switch will be cheaper and do the job. Or a combined access point with extra ports is a good solution too

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

TP link starter kit @ Amazon. 

I have one of these at home running on either end of a mains cable to the shed and have used them on cable runs of up to 40m to run building site CCTV cameras and site WiFi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@grumpy_ol_man wrote:

TP link starter kit @ Amazon. 

I have one of these at home running on either end of a mains cable to the shed and have used them on cable runs of up to 40m to run building site CCTV cameras and site WiFi.

Depending on the expected speed those specific adapters have 100Mbps ethernet sockets, so you won't make the most out of faster connections.

Powerline adapters never perform to their advertised speeds.

I suppose it depends on your expectations.

To the OP: Access points like below have been recommended in previous threads:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=sr_1_3?crid=... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=... 

They serve as both wireless and wired access, depending on the kit in use.

You could even set the same SSID and password/key as the HUB 4, assuming its out of range in the garden office, so the connection should be 'seamless'.

EDIT: Re-reading your post I'm assuming the CAT 7 cable has been run from your home to the garden office?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Powerlines will only work when the electrical circuits are "connected".

Who wired up the garden office? Qualified electricians will almost certainly do it through a separate circuit. If you did it yourself - you will know whether you did too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.