Menu
Bate38
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Extending SuperHub Range

Hi help please I have a hub 3 in my lounge and I have super hub 2 in my mancave wich I have connected with an Ethernet cable 40m apart good quality cable could someone help me in setting second router up so that I can extend the WiFi range in my mancave. I have a second TiVo box connect ed to the second hub. Any help would be appreciated 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending SuperHub Range

Factory reset the SH2. Log into the SH2 and change its IP address so that it's on the same IP segment as your hub's, something like 192.168.0.200, and disable DHCP. You can make the SH2's SSIDs the same as the ones of your hub 3.0. Connect the SH2 by a LAN port to any of the hub 3.0's LAN ports and you should have WiFi from your SH2. You may need to reboot it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Factory reset the SH2. Log into the SH2 and change its IP address so that it's on the same IP segment as your hub's, something like 192.168.0.200, and disable DHCP. You can make the SH2's SSIDs the same as the ones of your hub 3.0. Connect the SH2 by a LAN port to any of the hub 3.0's LAN ports and you should have WiFi from your SH2. You may need to reboot it.

Should the two hubs be on different Wi-Fi channels or would it not make a difference?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can have them on different SSIDs but most people would find it easier if they use the same SSIDs for both hubs, makes it seamless when they move around their property.

--
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You can have them on different SSIDs but most people would find it easier if they use the same SSIDs for both hubs, makes it seamless when they move around their property.

I wasn't so much thinking about SSID's Roger, but Wi-Fi channel numbers.  In the proposed configuration where both hubs are transmitting Wi-Fi, would assigning different Wi-Fi channels (say one on Ch 1 and the other on 6 or 11) prevent one signal competing with the other and causing dropout spots ... that sort of thing?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Bate38 wrote:

Hi help please I have a hub 3 in my lounge and I have super hub 2 in my mancave wich I have connected with an Ethernet cable 40m apart good quality cable could someone help me in setting second router up so that I can extend the WiFi range in my mancave. I have a second TiVo box connect ed to the second hub. Any help would be appreciated 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/3074...

... in case that helps.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I wasn't so much thinking about SSID's Roger, but Wi-Fi channel numbers.  In the proposed configuration where both hubs are transmitting Wi-Fi, would assigning different Wi-Fi channels (say one on Ch 1 and the other on 6 or 11) prevent one signal competing with the other and causing dropout spots ... that sort of thing?

I'm no expert at this but it's a good idea to use non-overlapping channels, tools such as WiFi Analyzer for Android can be used to show a graph of signal strength for the WiFi channel. Also, if you only need 2.4Ghz from one WAP then do so.

--
0 Kudos