Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Expanding wifi to garden with same wifi password with an Access Point

Hi guys just wondered if anyone else on here has a similar setup as I'm not really very savvy with networking (I have already posted my question on the TP-Link forums but had absolutely no response!)

My question was / is:

I have successfully setup my new TP-Link AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point & TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with 4-Port POE via the instructions on the Omada App on my iPhone.

The switch is connected via ethernet cable to my Virgin Superhub 3.

The problem I have is that I want to be able to move from the house to the decking & so on & maintain my wifi to both areas with the same wifi SSID password seamlessly.

At present, the setup is 2 networks, the Virgin house network VM..etc. & "Garden - 5G" (which is what I was directed to do during setup via the app). I do have a 2G Garden network too but do not use this as a rule.

At the moment, I have to switch from one wifi zone to the other when moving from house to garden.

This causes issues as connection is very limited when i move say back to the house & its still connected to the garden. I use EE's Wificall setup as the signal here is rubbish because we live in a small "valley" & phonecalls don't come through without changing networks manually.

From what I have also seen on the internet, I may need a TP-LinkOC200 Omada Cloud Controller to achieve what I need?  Is this correct? If so, I will order one straight away to solve my dilemma.

On a final note, My Virgin home Wifi network achieves 215mbs but "Garden - 5G" network achieves between 90 - 93mbs. I thought the TP-Link setup would echo the same result as my Virgin router as it is all hard wired together, am I correct in assuming this??

so...

Many thanks for reading this & if I can get some Kind Network Guru to provide me with a simple step by step guide to this, I would HUGELY appreciate it because at the moment, it's doing my head in!! 😠

Thanks
Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Expanding wifi to garden with same wifi password with an Access Point

You need a mesh system if you want to seamlessly move between network points

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! Could this be set up with the gear I have or do I need an extra piece of kit? I have watched youtube videos of people who have the same gear & they seem to work for them (don't mention using the same password though?? 🤔)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It won’t work with AP’s no as you have to “disconnect” from the hub then “reconnect” to the AP. Having different names as well just throws more confusion into the midst.

A Mesh system transfers you between discs seamlessly with no network interruptions.

You'd need to purchase a whole new system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To add, if you’ve purchased the EAP225-Outdoor device, these are mesh capable but the originating device also needs to be mesh capable as well - I.e the virgin hub is not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again!,
I was just reading up that my AC1200 EAP225 has mesh technology built in, would it not just meaning changing my router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Rick1 wrote:

Thanks again!,
I was just reading up that my AC1200 EAP225 has mesh technology built in, would it not just meaning changing my router?

Yes I added that above 🙂

Youll need another TP-Link router compatible with it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cheers!! & thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Whilst a Mesh system would be best for this seamless 'roaming' it is possible to do quite well with independent access points.

You are correct in thinking that the AC1200 should give you better than 100Mb/s on the 5GHz band.
This suggest the uplink from the SH3 is not operating at 1Gb/s for some reason.

If you can get this AP to operate better then try giving the 5GHz band on both the SH3 and AC1200 the same SIDD names and passwords but on different channels.

Roaming will work but will not be quite as quick as a full Mesh system. Mesh systems use special protocols to optimise the handoff between APs.

As an example of independent APs I have an Archer C7 as a main router in the lounge, an old SH2 on a landing window ledge (covering the garden), and a Sky Q-Hub in the master bedroom. I can be watching a live stream on an iPad and can walk throughout the house and into the garden without a break.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"If you can get this AP to operate better then try giving the 5GHz band on both the SH3 and AC1200 the same SIDD names and passwords but on different channels"

This is where things get confusing for me. How do I set up different channels? I am assuming this can be done through the Omada app? I have included a couple screen captures for info...

IMG_4006.PNGIMG_4007.PNG

0 Kudos