Menu
Highlighted
DavMitchell
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet v Wifi

Having bought a new 4kUHD TV, I’ve just upgraded to V6 but needed to use a WiFi connection because the router is in another room.  Is it worth trying to find a way to connect with an Ethernet cable for performance improvement?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet v Wifi

YES. Ethernet cabling is always far better than WiFi.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tudor is correct - ethernet cabling rules supreme.
There is a third way though, with a pair of good quality powerline adapters and 2 short Cat6 cables to connect one to the Hub and one to the V6. It does require that the 2 electrical circuits are "connected" (usually just going through the same consumer unit) and are essentially free of electrical noise. My lad uses these for his gaming PC and consoles in his room with no probems.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

While agreeing in principle, don’t discount WiFi.

My V6 is connected by 5GHz WiFi from my Hub 3.0, located upstairs from the TV and delivering an 866 Mbs connection.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good point Ernie - I have 2 V6's on wifi with good connections (from my own wifi equipment).
Try it first and see if it just works.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DavMitchell
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When an Ethernet cable is connected, does it automatically take precedence over WiFi, or is a Settings update needed?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes it takes precedence.

--------------------
0 Kudos
DavMitchell
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If I run an Ethernet cable thru a wall and terminate in a RJ45 wall socket to which another, say, CAT6 cable connects to a smart TV, does the socket connection inhibit the cable performance?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I detest WiFi as it’s so volatile, you are not in control of others in your locations or the number of nodes they use. I have someone near me, not discovered who yet, who runs their 2.4Ghz connection on 40 bandwidth instead of 20. Takes out two of the three usable bands. Power line can work, but as I have 12 RCBOs in my home it’s rather reluctant to transfer good signals from one circuit to another. 10G fibre is really the way to go if you are cabling up a new property. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not if it's all properly punched down in the socket then no.

And just to add to a previous comment, connecting a device with wifi and Ethernet at the same time does NOT automatically prefer the wired connection over the wifi one. It's not very well defined as to which route outgoing traffic will take, it should prefer the faster route but remember that a good 802.11ac (wifi 5) connection is faster than a 10/100 Ethernet link.

In Windows you would set what's called the 'binding order' if you really wanted both connected and force traffic down one line or the other or setup routing rules. Unfortunately I have no idea what the X-Box would do under these circumstances, so it would probably best to choose one connection method and just disconnect the other (unwanted) one.

0 Kudos