cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet to vm cable wall plate

Rmont
Tuning in

Hi. I've just dropped my son off at his new uni flat which is supplied with virgin cable for broadband only. There is a vm router on the lounge and his bedroom has a wall plate which we believed would be an ethernet port, but instead it's a cable style port. Sadly his WiFi card on his pc is poor and cannot pick up the signal from down the long hall and thick walls. 

Before going down the powerline route, is there an adaptor that will allow him to connect his pc ethernet to this wall plate?

Many thanks 

Rm 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

It sounds like the wall plate will be for a coaxial connection for the TV but if you could please post a picture of this, we would be happy to take a look for you. 

Thanks 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

It sounds like the wall plate will be for a coaxial connection for the TV but if you could please post a picture of this, we would be happy to take a look for you. 

Thanks 

Nat

Screenshot_2021-09-29-10-59-26.png

 hi Nat

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture but it was awkward to take. 

Kind regards 

Ryan

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s definitely a VM coax connection. There is no way it can be used for an Ethernet connection. Powerlines may work, but it all depends on the wiring in the accommodation. By far the best way is to run an Ethernet cable, it’s fairly easy to hide, you can even get flat cable nowadays.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Tudor

I've resorted to powerlines as I had a pair spare and didn't have the huge length of ethernet cable available. All working perfectly, but thanks to all responses as its good to know for sure that the wall plate connection was not a viable option.

Hi Rmont thanks for getting back to the community and sharing your resolution.

Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R