cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet ports not working in modem mode

JazzJames
Joining in

I’m trying to put my super hub 3 in modem mode but every time I do, the Ethernet ports stop working. They work fine when not in modem mode.

The set up worked fine with my super hub 2 so don’t think it’s a cable or switch issue.

Also, the router won’t come out of modem mode unless I do a 60sec reset. 

anyone else experienced this issue or have any possible solutions?

21 REPLIES 21

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

When in modem mode only one port will work which will be the one you’d connect your third-party router or mesh node to.

All other Ethernet connections need to then be made to said device. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

How many devices do you want to connect by ethernet, and what router or mesh system are you using?

I am attempting to use 1 Ethernet port on the super hub, connecting it to a net gear 16 port managed switch, which currently has 8 of its ports in use. I’ve tried all 4 of the super hub Ethernet ports and, although a green active light comes on, none seem to work. 

@JazzJames wrote:

I am attempting to use 1 Ethernet port on the super hub, connecting it to a net gear 16 port managed switch, which currently has 8 of its ports in use. I’ve tried all 4 of the super hub Ethernet ports and, although a green active light comes on, none seem to work. 

It won’t work. Modem mode needs another router attached to hand out DHCP etc.

You don’t need modem mode for just a switch - you need to leave it in router mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

It worked with the super hub 2, what’s changed on the super hub 3?

The switch connects to access points throughout the house, which provide better WiFi than the super hub can so need to disable the super hub otherwise it interferes with devices trying to connect.

@JazzJames wrote:

It worked with the super hub 2, what’s changed on the super hub 3?

The switch connects to access points throughout the house, which provide better WiFi than the super hub can so need to disable the super hub otherwise it interferes with devices trying to connect.

Not possible. Even on the older hubs in modem mode only one port is active for one device (not multiple on a switch). 

Anonymous
Not applicable
you need to turn off the WIFI and leave the hub in router mode.

The setup you described has and can never work

Looking to replace my Hub 3 due to the WiFi dropping....

Current setup is hub, two wired connections then everything else wireless

So if I swap the router for a Google Mesh, I assume from what I have read I need small switch for the wired connections?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should stick to your thread from yesterday and not confuse others like this one.  That said...

Why Google Mesh and not one from the "established" wireless equipment companies like TP-Link, Netgear, etc?

In most cases good mesh units will have x2 GB ethernet ports. The first unit uses one of those to connect to the Hub and the other is available for direct connection to another device - or add a switch onto it if you need more at that location. The satellite Mesh units will have 2 ports as well and these can be used at their locations.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.