cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet port switching off intermittently

RonnieLozman
Tuning in

Hi all,

do we know of any reason why my Hub 3 would switch off an Ethernet port, seemingly during ‘peak’ hours?

My garden office has a Netgear router configured as an access point and is connected to the Hub directly via a CAT6 cable.

Shortly after 0800 the connection to the office is lost (WiFi radiator loses connection and the green light on the Hub’s port goes out). It will then come back on again sometime around 2130.

I’ve plugged into the wall socket in the office directly with my laptop, I’ve brought the router to the house and used a shorter cable so I can rule out the router being the issue.

I would say it’s a problem with the cable but the timing of the down-time seems too regular.

I should also say that it has been functioning fine until the start of this week when I received the usage update from VM so I’m wondering if this was a way of ‘throttling’ my use?

Any help appreciated here; thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You should get a main router and put the hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @RonnieLozman,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you seem to be experiencing some issues with your router connection recently. I've checked our systems and I can't see any faults currently being detected on the line to explain this problem that you're having.

If the issue is ongoing today for you, is there any other pattern other than the time(s) mentioned that you've noticed? For example, is there anything in the home that's being activated or used at the same time that these issues occur? If so, it's possible that this is causing some kind of interference?

Have you also tried performing a factory reset of the router yet to see if that helps to alleviate things at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I won't be doing that - it worked fine for about 6 weeks and has only started playing up in the last week.

Hi Zach,

I've reset everything multiple times.

The connection continues to come back at around 10pm and by the morning it has gone again.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RonnieLozman

Thanks for the reply

Rather than a normal reset, can I confirm you've performed a pinhole reset to revert the hub back to factory settings?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Spoiler
Yes I had been doing the pinhole reset.

Turns out it was a cabling issue with 4/8 cores showing faults but somehow it still managed to work occasionally.

Networking guys came in and now the connection is better than ever!

thanks for the suggestions anyway.