cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet on router stops working

DBrackets
Tuning in

Hi all,

From time to time, the ethernet ports on the back of our router just stop working. Lights still flash, wifi still works, but the ethernet ports themselves just stop. 

The only fix I've found is to log into the router and trigger the network diagnostic - once that hits the "checking ethernet connections" step, suddenly everything springs back to life. Nothing else (changing cables, changing kit connected to the ethernet ports, etc.) works.

There's nothing in the logs - I get a "No ranging response received" error pretty much once per day, but not having this issue that often and I don't think the times line up for the days when both happen.

An engineer who came a while back to fix some other connection issues (now, thankfully, resolved) told me point blank that what I was describing wasn't possible - but I've tried everything else I can think of, over the course of six months or so, and this is definitely what is happening.

Obviously without knowing what triggers the problem I can't reproduce it on demand; and we're relying heavily on powerline networking to make up for the lousy performance of the wifi, so can't afford to leave the issue unfixed until an engineer arrives...

Does anyone else have any problems like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
You could try a pinhole reset of the hub:

Unplug all ethernet cables

With the power on and the co-ax connected; press and hold the reset switch with a paperclip or sim removal tool for at least 60 seconds.

Allow 10 minutes to reboot, reset and stabilise

See if that mitigates it!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

lotharmat
Community elder
You could try a pinhole reset of the hub:

Unplug all ethernet cables

With the power on and the co-ax connected; press and hold the reset switch with a paperclip or sim removal tool for at least 60 seconds.

Allow 10 minutes to reboot, reset and stabilise

See if that mitigates it!

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @DBrackets

Have you had the chance to try the above advice yet?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi both - yes, I tried that.

As I say, I've got no idea what causes the issue and that makes it difficult to "test" a solution; but I left it for a while and the ethernet ports crashed out last night, so it's not fixed.

Sounds like a knackered hub!

Yep, that was my thought too.

When I told the engineer who came out to fix some unrelated broadband issues, he basically told me what I was saying wasn't possible and that the engineers had been told not to do hub swaps unless they were totally convinced it was faulty (which is fair enough, but difficult to prove with an issue that happens seemingly at random).

I am going to borrow a proper router, put the hub in modem mode, and see if that makes a difference - but I believe all the ports go, when they go, so I can't see why it would unless whatever's making them switch off is related to a routing function somehow.

If anyone from the VM team is monitoring (@Travis_M?) is there a way for me to get my hub swapped without having to call support and go through resetting it etc. etc.?

Thanks for your replies and updates, DBrackets,

Normally we can, yes, however there are times we cannot. Like equipment shortages, for example. In these cases, the systems will block swaps and set up a house visit instead.

Would you like to try your test first or do you want us to get a visit set up?

Cheers,

Corey C.