cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet not working.

4eyes
Tuning in

Hi,

I am unable to connect to the internet via ethernet. Wifi is fine. Hub 3. Hub UI shows no connected devices.

24 REPLIES 24

Is it just the NAS that it doesn’t work for?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

No, all devices. I have multiple devices connected via my switch ( Raspberry Pi, power line adapters, tv etc. Link lights indicate traffic, but hub UI says no connected devices.

If you take the switches etc. out of the equation and wire direct to the hub - same outcome?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Not really practical, but I connected my laptop direct - same outcome

Ok so I tried again. I disconnected the ethernet cables from the hub. I reset the hub. I reconnected the cable to the switch and other devices; hub says no connected devices. I connected my laptop direct to the hub; laptop shows up as a connected device, but no connection to the internet via ethernet, and no connection via the switch to the other devices.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 4eyes, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear the above advice hasn't helped with this Ethernet issue. In all likelihood this will require a tech-visit, they will replace the hub as required. I'll get in touch via PM so we can get that arranged, just look out for the purple envelope and get back to me when you can.

Tom 

Hello,

Thanks for your message. I have now identified that the fault is in my ethernet switch. I have replaced this, and all is well now.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

@4eyes wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your message. I have now identified that the fault is in my ethernet switch. I have replaced this, and all is well now.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Erm…

If you take the switches etc. out of the equation and wire direct to the hub - same outcome?

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping the thread updated 4eyes, glad you've got it sorted now.

Tom 

A friend is having the same problem as you.

All services were working perfectly fine though until there was a Virgin service issue in his area. Since then he's had Wireless access only - not the fast broadband service he is paying for.

All internet access is at the back of his house, to which many years ago he arranged to have cable built into his roof from his Virgin router to that room. From this point in his rear office, he has a small 5 port switch which has given him perfect broadband service for years - until the Virgin downtime a week ago.

I helped him get through to Virgin support by phone the other day and they insisted it was a service issue with Virgin, despite him having internet to his home via Wi-fi only, which doesn't make any sense to either of us - if the cable running to his home (and his neighbour) is working to supply the service how could it differentiate between allowing just wi fi and block an ethernet service!)

The person stayed on the line whilst we turned the router off for a few minutes - and even (as suggested by one of the messages here) do a reset hole procedure and I really hoped that this may resolve the problem, but to our dismay nothing changed.

Can you help me understand how a service can be partially available within a home?

I've never come across this before, usually internet or phone is either working or it's not.

Thanking you in advance.

Julia