cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet issue

Bencaw90
Tuning in

Hi,

I have a slight problem, the new Hub4 is located downstairs in the window, and I have 2 desktop computers that require ethernet cables to be connected, I cannot run a long cable up the stairs so trying to find a solution the the problem, is there a router I can get for upstairs that will connect to the Hub and get the full speeds of the Gig1 package? Or adapters etc any suggestions will do, as virgin have offered to move the connection for the hub upstairs but have a feeling it’s a big messy job

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You want full 1Gb by wifi from a router downstairs to upstairs...not going to happen run Ethernet from the outside if you don't if not up the stairs this is some VM will not do.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes your best bet is to run an Ethernet cable externally, they are easy to hide behind a down pipe. You could then fit a cheap network switch upstairs and a WiFi access point, it will pay off in the future. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I know I won’t get the full 1Gb but usually you get a certain speed via Ethernet I used to have a Bt disc that plugged in to the pc via Ethernet then the disc was connected to the router downstairs, so I’m asking is there a disc you can buy or an adapter or router that will act as a wifi hub then I can plug Ethernet in, I cannot run cables up the stairs as I have children running about, and running a cable outside isn’t an option as it’s quite a distance from hub to the room

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use hub in modem mode and get a mesh
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-WSR30-EU0201F-MULTY-AC2100-TRI-BAND/dp/B07M92TT95/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers buddy

Was actually looking at these ones a friend has

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Passthrough-Configuration-TL-WPA8631P-KIT/dp/B08LW5VPPV/ref=mp_s_a_...

supposed to be brilliant

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
TP-Link Deco M4 or S4 - same price and more versatile and better - not reliant on the quality of your mains wiring

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.