cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet is OK but wifi is slow or non existent

Jonf21
Joining in

Hi all, 

in the past few days I've been experiencing loss of wifi, I've tried switching off and on again which I've found sometimes helps but it's not curing the issue. Ive tried a speedchecker which reports download speed of 25.6 Mb/s and upload 6.86 Mb/s. When I plug into ethernet it seems to work but wifi on my devises such as iPad doesn't work at all.

What's the best course of action with this?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jonf21 wrote:

Hi all, 

in the past few days I've been experiencing loss of wifi, I've tried switching off and on again which I've found sometimes helps but it's not curing the issue. Ive tried a speedchecker which reports download speed of 25.6 Mb/s and upload 6.86 Mb/s. When I plug into ethernet it seems to work but wifi on my devises such as iPad doesn't work at all.

What's the best course of action with this?

Thanks

Two main causes can be software/bugs on the hub, or some sort of outside interference such as a neighbours WiFi, baby monitor or whatever.

• Try using a free wifi analyser app - see if you are clashing with your neighbours (same/adjacent channels)
  • Try changing channels
  • Split the bands - give the two wireless bands different SSID and use whichever is appropriate - 5GHz in same room and 2.4GHz further away
  • Don't use the automatic optimization - set manually
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @g0akc  says, split the SSID as below;

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

and while you are at it, disable the Smart Optimisation in the wifi settings and manually set the band and channel for each device.

Note, if you have the VM wifi Pods, you can't do this as the Pods need a single SSID to work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the replies,

just a couple of things before I try the suggestions: can you tell me what  'suggest append _2 to the end' means?

Also, when you say 'manually set the band and channel for each device', can you give some detail on how this is done and what to set them to.

Sorry for the lack of understanding the jargon,

huge thanks,

Jonf

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Jonf21 wrote:

Thanks for the replies,

just a couple of things before I try the suggestions: can you tell me what  'suggest append _2 to the end' means?

Also, when you say 'manually set the band and channel for each device', can you give some detail on how this is done and what to set them to.

you’ll be changing WiFi settings - nothing to worry about 

see these pages

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-advanced-settings-on-your-hub

the ‘append 2’ is simply to add _2 to the end of the existing SSID for 2.4 GHz and _5 for 5GHz - then you can tell those apart on your device settings 

if you disable the ‘smart’ wireless it should be pretty obvious where you can set the channels manually (keep to 1,6 or 11 on 2.4GHz to avoid overlapping).  The ‘smart’ doesn’t always get it right on WiFi kit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Amazing, thanks.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jonf21,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry to hear you're facing issues with Wi-Fi, is this occurring within the same room as the Hub or from range?

From checking our service I can't currently see any readings that would attribute to the issue.

How is the service now?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi, I thought it had cured itself without my taking those steps suggested in another reply, my iPad now has internet but it's still slow and stuttery on video for example and my daughter has no wifi in her room, what do you suggest?

thanks

I've just done another speed test which is now showing 0.77Mb/s download and 2.48 Mb/s upload so not ideal,

Jonf

Hi @Jonf21, thanks for your confirmation although I'm sorry things are still not working for you properly.

Before attempting to split the SSID's into the 2.4ghz and 5ghz, I would recommend trying a pinhole reset as advised here - this will bring your Hub back to complete factory settings so in theory, should remove any bugs that are existing in the Hub currently that could be causing this.

Please let me know if this helps to improve things and we'll take things from there. 

Many thanks

Tom_W