cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet connection not working

M_Allen17
Tuning in

Hi, I have a brand new Gig1 fibre broadband hub, installed 2 wks ago. I want to connect my PC (running windows 10) to it via an ethernet cable in the wall socket, but the computer can't seem to recognise the cable (which is new - cat8), or even be able to find any networks. I also have a brand new ASIX AX88179 ethernet adapter plugged into one of the 3.0 USB slots. 

Starting to drive me nuts - please help! 🙏 

20 REPLIES 20

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

At the back of the Hub, you should be able to see the colour of the link lights at the ethernet ports.  Also the switch should have link lights?  If they are green then the link is running at 1Gb.

What does the Windows PC show the link is running at in Networking?

Run a speed test www.samknows.com/realspeed  This is the one VM use for testing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Is it possible to take the panel off the hub? I only see the corner white light...

My PC says the adapter speed is 10,000,000

Thank you for the link to the speed tester - very interesting. It says router = 1149, but my desktop is only 94.8

So do you have a switch? what model is it?

test with a cable direct to the hub
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @legacy1 is suggesting, the switch may only be a 10/100 ?

Get a long Cat 6 ethernet cable and connect the PC directly to the Hub. This will "remove" the internal wiring and the switch from testing.  Don't bother with Cat 8 btw, it's just a waste of money.

It's always handy to have a  long cable to hand, they are not that expensive, and will be a good addition to your IT kit !  🙂

As mentioned before, a couple of photos may help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tbh, not sure about the switch thing! 

When I plug the ethernet cable in directly into the hub, the speed on my PC shows as 1 Gbps. I can't seem to check it on samknows though for some reason... 😕 each time I try to refresh, it attempts it, but then it comes up with 'cable unplugged' on my network connections window, and 'something went wrong' on the samknows website...

With the lead plugged directly from the hub to my network adapter, the lights on it are now solid green, but also flashing amber which I didn't have before.. 

Will try to attach some pics to help!

Screenshot_20230318_163148_Gallery.jpg

• The 'wall socket' lead is attached directly to the hub 5. My ethernet cable is in port no.4 marked 2.5Gbps. It's linked directly to my adapter in the back of the computer.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Amber lights are 10/100 speed. They should be green for 1Gb. Is your PC NIC on the motherboard or are you using an external adapter? This may be the issue?

(Apologies for the delay in reply)

When I have a cable connected in the cupboard from the wall ethernet socket directly to the hub, plus a cable in the office from its wall ethernet socket to the computer, the adapter is solid green, but the speed shows 100mb.

It's an external adapter, as when I tried with a cable directly into the back of the computer (tried both from the hub direct, and from the wall), it doesn't really work at all. It tried, but connection only flashed up for a couple of seconds before disappearing, so I gave up!

When I connect the cable direct from the hub to the adapter, the speed shows 1gb (though I can't confirm that, as samknows doesn't seem to work when it's wired this way..?), and the lights are solid green and flashing amber. Unfortunately, I can't keep the cable like this as a permanent way of connection. 

I accept 100mb is fast, but I'm paying for 1gb, so you'd hope it would be feasible! 

Hi there @M_Allen17 

Thank you so much for your post and to our community teams for their help and we are so sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your connection. 

Can I ask if all windows updates, network drivers and chipset drivers are up to date? 

Do other devices work in the same USB socket such as a mouse or keyboard etc?

If you plug just the adapter into the PC does it recognise it in the Device Manager tab?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What exactly is the adapter that is connected to the PC.  Can you let us know the exact make/model please?