cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet connection not working

M_Allen17
Tuning in

Hi, I have a brand new Gig1 fibre broadband hub, installed 2 wks ago. I want to connect my PC (running windows 10) to it via an ethernet cable in the wall socket, but the computer can't seem to recognise the cable (which is new - cat8), or even be able to find any networks. I also have a brand new ASIX AX88179 ethernet adapter plugged into one of the 3.0 USB slots. 

Starting to drive me nuts - please help! 🙏 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there are multiple ethernet ports in the house, they normally would all terminate in a single location and all the wiring would go to an ethernet switch.

The Hub would need to have an ethernet cable run from this switch to an ethernet port on the Hub.  This is how the "internet" gets to the switch, and then onto all the ports around the house.

Some photos of the sockets and under stairs cables would be good.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where is this "wall socket" connected to? Is your house wired for ethernet sockets? If so, does the other end of that wall socket wiring go to the VM Hub?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

There are connection points in every room (tv/phone etc). The hub is wired directly into the house wiring in the cupboard. Does it need another separate cable from the hub to a phone socket below it too? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there are multiple ethernet ports in the house, they normally would all terminate in a single location and all the wiring would go to an ethernet switch.

The Hub would need to have an ethernet cable run from this switch to an ethernet port on the Hub.  This is how the "internet" gets to the switch, and then onto all the ports around the house.

Some photos of the sockets and under stairs cables would be good.

Thank you! Has worked. Like a muppet I didn't realise this. Perhaps obvious, but I wish they'd just explain that! 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for confirming the fix.  Glad you got it sorted.

Is there a quick way to check the current speed on my PC? 

I only ask, as it's a 1gig hub, but it seems the speed is only 100Mbps...?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check the link cable to the switch is at least Cat 5e, or Cat 6.  What colour is the link light on the Hub port? What colour is the link light on the NIC on the PC?

An orange light is usually 100Mb. For 1Gb link, it should be green.

Both cables are cat8. I only see 1 tiny light coming through the corner of the hub and it's white.. The light on the network adapter (plugged into the USB 3.0) is green, which I presume just means it's working?