Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connected Broadband keeps dropping out

Hi, since moving house and getting fibre to the house broadband connection (previously had co-ax on VM) I get numerous drop outs during the day. Currently working from home. Drops don't effect work VPN, but kill Skype calls. This happened 5 times today and 4 times yesterday. Laptop is connected to the router by cable so I don't think WiFi is an issue here. Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connected Broadband keeps dropping out

If it’s dropping it will drop everything not single applications. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I need to elaborate a bit. I think the VPN doesn't drop as there must the a threshold hold set to prevent minor network 'blips' from impacting the connection. We have endpoint protection that will switch between external and VPN profiles if the broadband connection 'blips'. VPN stays connected. I had 4 more connections issues today. These as really short lived and connect again almost straight away - but the any calls, need to be reconnected. Its frustrating both for me and the others on the calls.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It can’t pick and choose what drops. It’s either all or nothing.

You can’t have a network outage yet your VPN remains connected as that’s impossible. 

It likely the VPN will be attempting to reconnect, you can check this by opening the VPN client and checking what the connection status says.

If your connection is being tunnelled via the VPN and not split tunnelling then if the VPN drops it will also disconnect you from any calls or applications being routed over the VPN. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, yes the VPN is disconnecting (just checked the logs) but it is reconnecting in the background and is invisible to me and has no impact. The Skype connection is not routed via the VPN for some reason - therefore my earlier, incorrect assumption. Apologies for the confusion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Might be worth asking your IT if the VPN is split tunnel and also if they point Skype to go over the VPN or split it off to the “outside world” directly.

Does the connection also only drop when on the VPN?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Probably not going to happen as the problem started when I moved house. Skype is also on its way out as a corporate solution and is directly connected to the 'outside world'.

I only see the drop outs when I'm working on my laptop. Home PC isn't used for anything that would require continuous connection. Even Netflix etc is via set-top box these days and not noticed anything as yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So we’re pretty certain then it’s the VPN dropping out only on the work laptop then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Nope. Over the weekend and today Whatsapp calls to 2 different people (1 voice only, 1 video) dropped and tried to reconnect - the video call I had to abandon it was so bad. These were made via my phone. Work laptop also dropped out earlier today too. Its very random, or possibly not, I just don't see them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So your phone would be wireless then.

Post the network, upstream and downstream logs from the hub admin pages 

0 Kudos