cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet cables

KEF
Tuning in

Hi, I have an Ethernet cable run to my home office in the garden but please can someone advise me what to plug into the Ethernet port to get a wireless signal in the office?

19 REPLIES 19

Hi, I got a TL-WA901N

ive spent days trying to figure this out, surely it shouldn’t be this difficult??!!

Please help!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you actually tested the ethernet connection on the end of the cable in the garden office? That is.... if you plug a laptop/computer/console on the end of it... does it actually work ok?

That TP-Link is limited to 100Mbps but that's probably not an issue. What does the manual say about setting it up ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No I haven’t, all our laptops don’t have an Ethernet port hence why I need wireless! Any suggestions on how I can test the Ethernet?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@KEF wrote:

No I haven’t, all our laptops don’t have an Ethernet port hence why I need wireless! Any suggestions on how I can test the Ethernet?

borrow a laptop with an ethernet port of buy a cable tester - a few quid on ebay a bit more at screwfix or the like

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes... do what I do on all of my Apple devices... get a port<->ethernet adapter and plug it into whatever port the laptops have and then plug in the office cable.

I have them for USB3, USBc, Thunderbolt, Firewire and lightning ports - and all connect just fine on my Mac's.

Or use a gaming console if you have one.

Here is an example - although never used this one so its not a recommendation 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MARSPOWER-Ethernet-Network-Multifunction-Portable/dp/B094NV6VMC/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This page has a video of how to setup the TP-Link in Access Point mode 

Download for TL-WA901N | TP-Link United Kingdom

You can do all this sitting beside the VM Hub and move the TP-Link back into the garden room when your have finished the setup.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Brilliant thank you! I’ve plugged the tp link into the VM Hub to set up and I’m getting the same message so it must be something to do with the settings. I haven’t amended any of them, I’ve just gone with the default settings. 
When I try to connect I get a blue tick saying it’s connected but then I get a message underneath in orange saying “No Internet Connection”.

Any ideas?!

Also, having just checked, I’ve got a Hub 3 - does that make any difference? Sounds like there are much more updated ones out there?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

cannot help with the setup but it should work with a hub3 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Swapping Hubs will not help .... it may well make everything worse.

Report back when you have confirmed that the ethernet cable can provide an active connection on a device, the TP-Link should just work if it does have and you set it up as per Adduxi's link.

--------------------
John
--------------------