cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Ports on Hub3.0 Stop Working Suddenly - Tried Everything To Fix

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Watching Netflix this afternoon - it suddenly failed. Turns out all wired devices (3 out of 4 ports) to our Hub3 suddenly have no connectivity.

WiFi continues to work just fine.

I have now done a factory reset, recycled the power several times, plugged and re-plugged the cables, changed cables all to no avail.

Have tried to contact VM to ask for a replacement router, but their chat is super-useless, and the phone cuts me off because it claims my 'security number' is wrong.

I'm not really sure what to do now?

18 REPLIES 18

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Guys

For the second time now in about a year - all ethernet service has again stopped on my Superhub3.

I have done a hard reset, a soft reset and changed cables (because you always ask).

Nothing has made any difference.

VM - Please advise.

Hey there @Jammy192, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the Virgin Media hub 3's ethernet ports.
I will look further in to this for you and send you a private message to further investigate - watch out for the purple envelope.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @Jammy192,

Thank you for the update.

I can not see any issues from our side, I do see that you have many devices connected to your Wi-Fi and the speed package...

Docsis is not Ethernet Ports just change the hub and what does many devices on WiFi have to do with Ethernet Ports?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Yes - it's now mysteriously working again with no changes to my setup. I lost about 2 days worth of LAN service?

What's going on?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Might be for the best to use modem mode and get your own router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there @Jammy192, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the ethernet ports on the Virgin Media hub.
I'm glad to hear its started working. Should it ever happen again in future, please try a pin hole reset on the Virgin Media hub, it may be that the hub itself requires a hard reboot.

Let us know 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Hi - Yes, did exactly that (hard reset) this time around. Had precisely zero effect, except that I had to do all my set up again.

Hi, I stumbled across your post today. I have (or hopefully only had) the same problem. 

It started 3 days ago and got worst by the day. I have the Virgin Media Hub 2.0, long cable running upstairs to a switch to connect a PC and 2 network printers. All working without any problem for the last 2 years. It started with the connection going on and off and today didn't any connection to the hub at all, even without the switch. I did not reboot or the hub, since at least one other port was still working. Instead I did switch the network cables to different ports on the hub. All 4 are in use, I only switched them around. 

Strange enough, this seems to have been the fix for me. PC did connect over ethernet instantly, put switch back, all working fine - at least for now.

Hi

Yeah - my experience is similar. Sudden drop of all LAN functionality - try everything including hard resets with no effect, then mysteriously, bit by bit, things start working again.

No problems at all with the WiFi side of things.

I would say that it's the LAN driver chip on it's way out?

I've talked to several people now who've experienced the same thing. In every case, after a lot of trouble and tears, things start working after about 3 days.