cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Connection to Virgin 3.0

salkhan1409
Tuning in

Hi I am unable to get my MAC to connect to the hub via cable. Do Virgin supply the IP address? The MAC response seems to suggest it should. Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The issue is that your device has an IP address that is on a different network to the Hub.  Can you test from another device like a phone or another PC.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You asked this before. What’s different?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iMac-Ethernet-IP-address-issue/m-p/4454439

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I gave up with the BT wifi. However I still cannot connect to the Internet through an ethernet cable. I've tried all 4 connections - doesn't work. Does Virgin assign an IP address?

Is the hub now in router mode? If so the hub will provide IP addresses to connected devices.

thank you, the message I receive is "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." Does that ring any bells?

thank you. the message I get is "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." Does that ring any bells?

Sounds like the device you are using has a static IP address configured. You need to go into network settings and in the ethernet properties change the option to allow dhcp addresses.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Have you configured the Network's IPv4 to use DHCP?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

thank you, from what I can see that's been done,

thank you, yes it is configured.