cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Cables

SteveOM
On our wavelength

Im thinking of upgrading my ethernet cables and adding and repositioning a new Router.

i have a few questions if you don't mind.

I believe the ethernet cable from the box inside my property to my Mac I believe as 5e. I need to upgrade that to at least 6e or even 7. 
will Virgin Media allow me to remove the 5e and replace it with at least 6e.

i’m thinking of buying a new Router and reposition this to a more central location.

will Virgin allow me to do this?

if so what Router would you suggest? Im on VM M500.

I have been told the best and cheapest way to get a great wifi reception throughout my property would be to use Powerline, a method of sending a signal through the electrical system running through the house.

what do you think of this method over a router connected vis ethernet cables and/or WiFi?

15 REPLIES 15

g0akc
Problem sorter

@SteveOM wrote:

I’m not knowledgable with how the ethernet and wifi system works and that includes why there are cables that come in different flavours.

i am on VM 500 for my broadband. Would 5e be ok or should I use 6e, and as i’m considering upgrading my wifi system as well as I have ordered the Mac Studio Max?

I use Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve and Affinity Photo. I have 3 Thunderbolt 3 desk top hard drives to add speed to my system. I want to update/future proof my whole system: online, broadband and fastest speeds for video editing. 

will upgrading my cables help with that, or will my 5 yr old cable, provided by Virgin be good enough for my setup?

You can read various web pages about the difference between Ethernet cables such as This 

They differ in terms of how the cable is constructed, wires twisted and shielded. Cost is of course also a factor.

It affects the highest speed, over what distance.

5e would be fine for your needs.

I’ve used Cat 6 in data centres owing to high bandwidth and interference/cross talk between multiple connections, but for most home users it’s unnecessary. In data centres if Cat 6 wasn’t enough we used fibre. Irrelevant for most home/consumer use.

It can be worth using external cat 5e if cables need to be run on outside walls - better weather proofing and UV light resistance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

SteveOM
On our wavelength

Thanks for all your help. 🙏 

g0akc
Problem sorter

@SteveOM wrote:

I’m not knowledgable with how the ethernet and wifi system works and that includes why there are cables that come in different flavours.

i am on VM 500 for my broadband. Would 5e be ok or should I use 6e, and as i’m considering upgrading my wifi system as well as I have ordered the Mac Studio Max?

I use Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve and Affinity Photo. I have 3 Thunderbolt 3 desk top hard drives to add speed to my system. I want to update/future proof my whole system: online, broadband and fastest speeds for video editing. 

will upgrading my cables help with that, or will my 5 yr old cable, provided by Virgin be good enough for my setup?

What you’ve described for your video editing upgrade relates to your computer system speed/power/capabilities - little to do with broadband, wireless or wired connectivity.

Your broadband speed (WAN) is relevant to an extent - but more probably more important is the LAN side - especially if you move files/data between machines on your home network such as to/from a NAS drive as I do regularly.  Even if you don’t now you may in future.  

I’d still stick with CAT5e.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

SteveOM
On our wavelength

God bless you.

i’m sorry for my lack of understanding on this subject. However, I thought if I need in the future, which is likely, to upload my creations to my peers, I thought the faster my/our package the better for computer systems. Speeds has to be a factor. We don’t want videos taking hours to upload etc. i think i have that right. Sorry if I haven’t.

i thought at first ( aged 66) I got into Ripple Training and indeed Final Cut Pro i would never have thought I would achieve a good standard of knowledge of fcp but now near 3/4yrs on I can produce video stories for family and friends. Now I have asked about broadband, routers, mesh systems I have an interest in this. I will now start to read up on this subject. Hopefully, that will reward me with the ability to set up a system myself, good enough to give me a great connection, and no drop outs, which I suffer now every day. 

thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

g0akc
Problem sorter

I guess, in the interest of future proofing, you could opt for cat 6 or even 6a.  

If you’re paying someone to install the extra cost of the cable becomes less significant.

Obviously things have got faster and faster over the years and will likely continue to do so.

You’d be looking at 10GB router, switches, computer interfaces and NAS drives but they will eventually become the norm.

SteveOM
On our wavelength

I guess your right. For that I need to be proactive and get myself reasonably read on the subject as I have a feeling to upgrade to be future proof will cost an arm and a leg to get a professional computer engineer to do all that, not least the cost of the equipment.