cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Cables

SteveOM
On our wavelength

Im thinking of upgrading my ethernet cables and adding and repositioning a new Router.

i have a few questions if you don't mind.

I believe the ethernet cable from the box inside my property to my Mac I believe as 5e. I need to upgrade that to at least 6e or even 7. 
will Virgin Media allow me to remove the 5e and replace it with at least 6e.

i’m thinking of buying a new Router and reposition this to a more central location.

will Virgin allow me to do this?

if so what Router would you suggest? Im on VM M500.

I have been told the best and cheapest way to get a great wifi reception throughout my property would be to use Powerline, a method of sending a signal through the electrical system running through the house.

what do you think of this method over a router connected vis ethernet cables and/or WiFi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only bits you can't change are the cabling between the street cabinet to your hub. Therefore you can use whatever ethernet cables you like from the hub ethernet ports to your own devices. Consensus on here seems to be that category 6 is best. Mixed views on powerline. I use an Asus RT-AC86U router with the hub in modem mode and have much better WiFi and a more stable connection. Others here will no doubt suggest mesh systems which are another step up again. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only bits you can't change are the cabling between the street cabinet to your hub. Therefore you can use whatever ethernet cables you like from the hub ethernet ports to your own devices. Consensus on here seems to be that category 6 is best. Mixed views on powerline. I use an Asus RT-AC86U router with the hub in modem mode and have much better WiFi and a more stable connection. Others here will no doubt suggest mesh systems which are another step up again. 

SteveOM
On our wavelength

Thanks Cardiffman. I sincerely appreciate it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don’t buy anything higher than Cat6a Ethernet cable, they re just overkill and you will never need their specifications with a VM connection.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

SteveOM
On our wavelength

Thanks Tudor.

6e it is.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@SteveOM wrote:

I have been told the best and cheapest way to get a great wifi reception throughout my property would be to use Powerline, a method of sending a signal through the electrical system running through the house.

what do you think of this method over a router connected vis ethernet cables and/or WiFi?

I suggest you avoid Powerline adaptors.  They are fraught with problems.

Granted they can work in some situations, as a 'last resort' but performance depends on the layout and quality of the house wiring among other things.

For larger properties Mesh systems work well and can be scaled up (you can add extra units to extend coverage).  A higher end wireless router may be adequate, and you can use additional WiFi access points to reach all parts of the house and garden.

The Deco range of Mesh units are popular (Deco M5 for example) and are available from various retailers.  Interconnectivity (between units) can be via Ethernet, which is better, or wireless).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

SteveOM
On our wavelength

Ive just been explained to me that I might have confused some. 
when I was explaining renewing the cable under my floor from 5e ( or is it ‘a’) to 6 or even 7, i apparently gave you wrong info. 
The cable in question is not an ethernet cable, its a coax cable. 😞 

Anyway, the info you have given still applies as I do need to update ( i think) the cable going from my Virgin box to my computer, which I do believe is 5e/a. Also as I am thinking of purchasing a new more powerful Router, I might run ethernet to that as well. From there I might rely on wifi by purchasing a new mesh setup.

i was sent a booster from Virgin, then after 2/3 weeks I ordered a second booster. I’m sorry to say, I don't think they are very good. Not on my property anyway. 

What do you guys think of the boosters? 

g0akc
Problem sorter

@SteveOM wrote:

Ive just been explained to me that I might have confused some. 
when I was explaining renewing the cable under my floor from 5e ( or is it ‘a’) to 6 or even 7, i apparently gave you wrong info. 
The cable in question is not an ethernet cable, its a coax cable. 😞 

Anyway, the info you have given still applies as I do need to update ( i think) the cable going from my Virgin box to my computer, which I do believe is 5e/a. Also as I am thinking of purchasing a new more powerful Router, I might run ethernet to that as well. From there I might rely on wifi by purchasing a new mesh setup.

i was sent a booster from Virgin, then after 2/3 weeks I ordered a second booster. I’m sorry to say, I don't think they are very good. Not on my property anyway. 

What do you guys think of the boosters? 

I'm no fan of 'boosters'.

Place additional wireless access points in the rooms/areas that need better coverage and connect via Ethernet.

You mention getting a better router AND a mesh system?   Just get a good mesh system in the first place - many include the router functions. 

Decide which it is you want.  Better router, better router with additional access points (Ethernet backhaul) or Mesh.

You will still need the VM hub, in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

For the vast majority of users. Cat 5e is sufficient. It is suitable for upto 5Gb, and will accommodate short length at 10Gb  even if out of spec.

Until you run 10Gb in anger. Why waste money on 6a!

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

SteveOM
On our wavelength

I’m not knowledgable with how the ethernet and wifi system works and that includes why there are cables that come in different flavours.

i am on VM 500 for my broadband. Would 5e be ok or should I use 6e, and as i’m considering upgrading my wifi system as well as I have ordered the Mac Studio Max?

I use Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve and Affinity Photo. I have 3 Thunderbolt 3 desk top hard drives to add speed to my system. I want to update/future proof my whole system: online, broadband and fastest speeds for video editing. 

will upgrading my cables help with that, or will my 5 yr old cable, provided by Virgin be good enough for my setup?