cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Modem mode on Hub 4 means TPlink X55 will not connect

nathanbusby
Tuning in

Hi there wonderful people. I am sorry if this has been asked before but having a search normally gives me answers that don't quite apply to my issue.

I today received a TPlink Decco X55 mesh system (3 nodes). During the initial setup I was able to connect to the network all ok (green light).

I had read I should really enable modem mode on the Hub 4, so I went and carried this out...possibly. I say possibly as the network seemed to still be being broadcast. If I tried to connect another device to it though it would not allow me so I presume it worked.

When this happened after starting the setup again on the Decco app via a pinhole reset of the connected node, I got a red light. The only way I could get it all to work was to leave the Hub 4 functioning as normal which is how its all setup currently. I am happy with the speeds I am getting around the house, although they are possibly not as fast as they could be, but me being me, I want it set up as it should. Any ideas out there??

Its a bit of a pain as I still have a couple of Sonos speakers that keep connecting to the old network which means they are currently redundant..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect one Decco to the hub and change to modem mode.

VM wifi from the hub will disable any pods and power line from VM can be unplugged.

You will need to re-connect all wifi stuff to your Decco new SSID
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect one Decco to the hub and change to modem mode.

VM wifi from the hub will disable any pods and power line from VM can be unplugged.

You will need to re-connect all wifi stuff to your Decco new SSID

currently all Deco's are connected. One is connected via the supplied ethernet to the Hub 4 the other two are connected to the main Decco via Wifi.

I am wondering if I simply at this point enable Modem mode what would happen, leaving everything as it is?

@nathanbusby wrote:

currently all Deco's are connected. One is connected via the supplied ethernet to the Hub 4 the other two are connected to the main Decco via Wifi.

I am wondering if I simply at this point enable Modem mode what would happen, leaving everything as it is?

Do you have other devices, other than the TPLink, connected to your HUB?

The only thing that is plugged into the Hub 4 is the VM box. I could unplug and connect wirelessly though..

@nathanbusby wrote:

The only thing that is plugged into the Hub 4 is the VM box. I could unplug and connect wirelessly though..

In modem mode you can only have one wired device connected to the HUB. The reason being only one device is supplied an internet connection in this mode.

This is why the TP Link isn't working (You'd need to plug the VM box into the TP Link).

Hi when I was messing around with it earlier I only had the Decco plugged in. I will concede though it might have been in an out a few times.

Do you think its worth a shot just unplugging the VM box leaving the Decco as it is and enabling Modem mode?

@nathanbusby wrote:

Hi when I was messing around with it earlier I only had the Decco plugged in. I will concede though it might have been in an out a few times.

Do you think its worth a shot just unplugging the VM box leaving the Decco as it is and enabling Modem mode?

Yes, make sure you reboot the HUB in modem mode with only the TP Link plugged in!

Maybe VM can add a sticker for the VM box "If hub in modem mode connect me to your router".

Thank you to you both who commented and answered the questions.

I carried out the enable Modem mode with just the TPlink plugged into LAN port 1 and then restarted the Hub 4 and the red light on the TPlink went back to Green thank goodness.

All as it should although speeds are slower but starting to pick up. I imagine it will take a little while to stabilise again.

Thank you all.