cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero and SuperHub5

jbbolcato
Tuning in

Hey there,

Been using Eero mesh Wifi with a Superhub3 for years with no problem, both in "router mode", yes both sets of Wifi running at once - I want to use the 4 x ethernet ports on the Superhub, and all was fine.

Upgraded to Superhub5 about 6 months ago, again worked fine, same setup, both router mode  - been fine since.

But then, end of last week: boom. The main gateway Eero Pro 6 went offline and turned flashing blue again. All the other units turned red.

Trying to reinstall it always end up with it failing the "registering" phase, once I type my choice of SSID and password, click Create Network: it tries for about 30s and fails with the "We found an issue" error.

Tried to power cycle units, modem, changed cables, even changed Eeros (I have 3 routers: 2 x Eeros Pro6 and 1 x Eero6) and I keep getting the error.

Did something change recently in the SuperHub5 software last week, to block Mesh wifi units like Eeros? My setup worked flawlessly until last weekend! And now nothing works.

I will also contact the Eero tech support, but I am unsure it's them as all of my Eeros do not  connect to the superhub.

Thanks,

JBB

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand that there has indeed been a firmware release for the hub 5 in the past couple of weeks. What it changes I couldn't tell you. 

Your running an unsupported setup with the hub in router mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As both the hub and Eero are in router mode you have two DHCP servers running which can lead to problems. You should either have the hub in modem mode or have the hub in router mode with the Eero in bridge mode.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ok, fair enough.

I would rather keep the Superhub5 as my main router, and the Eero as the "Extender".

But not sure how I could setup Eero's bridge mode in may current misbehaving setup - I cannot even add any of my Eero units to the network as a first main device. The failure to "register" a main gateway Eero pro occurs before you reach any of the advanced settings to change mode...

So unsure it is the mode blocking the failing registration: feels like the Superhub is deciding not to handshake with Eero and blocks it from registering? I also heard that a part of the handshake is done on the mobile app, so the mobile phone needs to be on "mobile data", not potentially connected to the Wifi that could be busy. Of course I tried that too, and still doesn't work.

I'll try to pass the Superhub5 into modem mode then for now, see if that helps and report back.

Many thanks all!

In a situation such as this you should remove all changes by doing a factory or hard reset of the Eero, then go through the instructions for putting it into bridge mode.

--

Ok, Quick update…
- passed the superhub5 into modem mode: still no luck. Gets detected, I get access to the room choice, but fails on registering. Exactly as before in router mode. So still cannot access advanced settings.

- I then performed full hard reset of all 3 of my eeros : (15s to red light etc  - 2 eero pro 6 and 1 et 6) and tried one by one as a gateway, rebooting the sh5 in between to gain access. Same! Fails on registering.

- Back in router mode, so I get some wifi in my house… but eero is still not working of course.

I have no idea what to do now!

…hard reset the sh5?

I fear it’s some kind of firmware update that is polluting the setup. I can’t be the only one, surely? What is happening?

Any suggestions welcome… thanks for your help!

I presume that you've disabled your phone's WiFi whilst doing the setup?

--

I had purchased the eero about a year ago from someone and it worked fine till I had the same issue on Friday last week.. and contacted Eero, however they said that this is a Talk Talk issue and I need to contact them, even though they were not my ISP.. I had initially noted that on the eero app, my ISP showed as Talk Talk even though it is hyperoptic,  but had ignored it as it did not bother me.. .. now I believe that the router is probably locked to Talk Talk, just like mobile phones and Talk Talk has probably now decided to not allow non Talk Talk customers to use the device.. I did call Talk Talk who acknowledged the issue but did not have any resolution as yet

Yes, wifi was turned off on the mobile.

That is a very good point about talkTalk. Same timing! Friday. One of my eero pro is a talktalk unit. (Bought cheap on eBay, was a bit worried about that when I saw the « powered by talktalk » icons show up in the app menus)

…the other two aren’t though!

So it sounds like I need to talk to eero: they letting the talktalk « lock » spread itself to all units in a network it seems!!!