cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echo dot 4th gen will NOT connect to hub 4

Craig200985
Tuning in

As the title says my echo dot wont connect. I have seen people say they have had connection dropouts but i cannot connect at all. 
I had no problems on hub 3. Dot connects fine to my personal hotspot. Every other device in the house, phones, tablets, consoles etc. all connect to hub 4 fine. 
I have reset hub 4, de-registered and re-registered echo dot, cleared all saved passwords on amazon account. I have re-named 2.4 and 5 channels separately as i have seen recommended on here. Still nothing works.  

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You now need to get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is really the only solution?? I think i’ll plug my old router back in and take the slower speeds because this is ridiculous.

The good deal i got is now going to be completely offset by the expense of having to buy new equipment i don't want and shouldn’t need.

Is this a known issue? Is there no software patch they can roll out to the hub? What’s going on here?

Is my soon to arrive hub 4 already making last weeks Echo Dot redundant?
Why the need to go 3rd party router/hub modem mode.

I accidentally tagged this as helpful. It isn’t. Why is everyone talking about buying 3rd party hardware like it’s a viable option. Why can’t things just work?

why should i have to buy 3rd party equipment that i cant afford to get my devices to work. 
and although i may have just enough knowledge to set up a 3rd party router with mine in modem mode (barley the knowledge) what about people that don’t? They will be expecting their easy to use gadgets to JUST WORK. 

@Craig200985 wrote:

I accidentally tagged this as helpful. It isn’t. Why is everyone talking about buying 3rd party hardware like it’s a viable option. Why can’t things just work?

why should i have to buy 3rd party equipment that i cant afford to get my devices to work. 
and although i may have just enough knowledge to set up a 3rd party router with mine in modem mode (barley the knowledge) what about people that don’t? They will be expecting their easy to use gadgets to JUST WORK. 

Have you tried using WPS (The button at the rear above the Ethernet ports)?

There is no WPS button on the echo dot. To set it up and connect it to the internet it has to connect to my phone via bluetooth. 

reply deleted...

@Craig200985 wrote:

There is no WPS button on the echo dot. To set it up and connect it to the internet it has to connect to my phone via bluetooth. 

And there is no option to select WPS when setting up the connection via your phone?

Unfortunately not. I just double checked now. 

i got the mac address from the connection screen on my phone for the echo dot and set a rule in router setup to allow it but still nothing. 

virgin tech support were no use, as i expected they just blamed the echo, you know the device that isn’t from their company, it’ll be top of the sheet they read off no doubt.