cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

END OF CONTRACT HELP

HilsBaby1
Joining in

Hi - been with VM for over 20 years.  My package contract ends soon for TV, land line and broadband.  I only want/need WiFi and VM can only offer me £51/month?????

Surely they can offer me something else?  If I cancel and rejoin will I be classed as a new customer?  I’m really disappointed with the reaction I got when I called.  Not even a whiff of trying to retain me as a customer…..

Thanks, Hilary 

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The retentions people can offer you a different amount from day to day and unfortunately loyalty counts for nothing.

Points to consider:

1) Always refer to it as a broadband connection, never just WiFi.

2) It's often cheaper to have broadband and a home phone rather than just broadband, I know it seems silly if you don't want it, but that's the way the price structures work.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jem101
Superstar

@HilsBaby1 wrote:

Hi - been with VM for over 20 years.  My package contract ends soon for TV, land line and broadband.  I only want/need WiFi and VM can only offer me £51/month?????

Surely they can offer me something else?  If I cancel and rejoin will I be classed as a new customer?  I’m really disappointed with the reaction I got when I called.  Not even a whiff of trying to retain me as a customer…..

Thanks, Hilary 

Of course they won't try too hard to retain you as a customer, VM's customer services people know full well that despite what many people threaten, in reality, statistically, you are unlikely to leave. So why offer you anything at all?

Now if that sounds a bit harsh, the important thing to always keep in mind is that VM is a company, quite a debt-laden one if I recall correctly, and like all companies they want and need to make as much money as they can out of you and all their other customers - fine, it's called business, and to some extent it needs to be treated as a game!

The first time you call, they'll offer you very little to stay, you'll probably stay anyway. What you actually have to do, is research alternative suppliers, and what they can offer - don't call up and say that 'Humpty Dumpty internet have offered me 500 Mb/s for £4.99 a month and can you match it?', because they know exactly what is available where you are and will call your bluff. So armed with research, what you can get elsewhere which would be suitable, call VM, see what they will offer and if not acceptable (probably won't be at this point), you ask to be put through to cancellations and actually go ahead and give your 30 days notice to quit.

Now probably, but not definitely, you'll get a call at some point from their outbound retention team who are empowered to make much better offers. But these tend to be one-time only, take it or leave it right then and now, and it's a very good chance you won't get another call. Say you'll think about it and call them back and they'll immediately think that you aren't really serious about leaving and if you do call them back, that offer price won't be there any more, it'll be more expensive - see my point re. VM being a business not a charity!

If you do leave, then I understand you need to not be a customer for three months before you will be classed as a 'new customer' again and get the special prices. So what 'might' be workable, is to leave and see about a 4G or 5G internet provision from whoever has the best coverage in your area on a monthly contract. No TV (other than streaming) or house phone of course - which you say you don't need anyway, but might be OK for a few months before you give VM another go.

Like I said, it's all a game - play the game and you will probably win, don't play and game and you absolutely will get nowhere. Just the way it works.

John

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @HilsBaby1

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forum and welcome to the team it's great to have you here! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have not been able to find a suitable deal! 

Our retentions team will always try to offer the best possible package or deal they can and we are constantly adding new deals and offer so please do reach back out to us so we can take a look! 

We are not able to assist with package changes via the forums but if you give the team a call on 150 via Virgin landline or 0345 454 1111 then our team will assist.

Thank you. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this for some pointers

Re. Contract renegotiation - see Andrew’s comments in message 6

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/New-contract/td-p/4888761

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

thanks - I already called that number and was told there was nothing VM could offer me so I’ll look elsewhere,

Hilary 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try again, it does change from day to day. It can be a lot of hassle to change providers especially with email.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2