cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic IP address changes

AntonySarah1603
Joining in

Virgin said my IP address is dynamic and it will change every 16-20 days so long as box is downpowered for a good few hours. Told that our next change would be 26.9.19. 

Turned box off overnight on that date. IP address was  stil the same? 

My son is a gamer and says our IP never changes so cannot be a dynamic one. Please help a mum who has no idea about any of this!!!! 

19 REPLIES 19

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM without saying WAN or LAN IP can get away with saying your IP changes by meaning LAN IP when you turn off and on the hub see how much trouble router mode is....

---------------------------------------------------------------

The original post contains absolute piffle.  I've been switching my hub off at night since I got it, with no problems or WAN IP address changes.   If it were the case, I would have a different WAN (Wide Area Network) IP address every day.   However, it did change a few years ago to the one I have now.

A DDOS attack is explained (briefly) here.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Hello

You will only get a different IP address if the one you had before has been taken by a new device, when requesting an address the system send a hardware ID to the server that handles the request and as long as the old IP has not been taken you will get the same one. There is no way of changing the way it works.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

In a Static IP network the IP never changes.

In a Dynamic IP network (Like Virgin Media) you will get an IP for a set amount of time.

Virgin issue your device with an IP that last for 7 days.

Your Device (Superhub, Hub3, or Router) gets that IP and then after having it for half the time, it will ask Virgin if it is allowed to have the IP again for the same length of time.

So, First time you get an IP your router has it for 7 days, 3.5 days later it says "Can I keep it", Virgin network says Sure, and now it's good for 7 more days.  It will repeat this forever.

So.  Assuming you know exactly when your router last asked for that update, we call it a DHCP Renew, then you will be able to turn the device off when it has more than 3.5 days left, leave it turned off for about 4 days, and the IP will then no longer be reserved.

I hear you ask, Does that mean the IP is lost?  The answer is, Only if someone else takes it.

Assuming that once your lease expired, after 7 days from originally being handed out, VM needed to hand a IP to a new device on the network, and yours was the one that had been removed the longest.  It would give the new people your IP.  So it's possible that you could disconnect your service for weeks, or even months, and still get the same IP when you restart your kit.

Now.  As for as your kid goes.

Tell him that it's easy to get someone else's IP, so simply by going online someone can find it.  It's also difficult and illegal for people to hack and steal from him so they probably aren't doing it and he shouldn't worry.

You can change your IP with different equipment, but honestly you should just tell your kid that's life.  Once we get IPv6 then the block assignments we get will probably be Static, so he should best get used to it now.  Also, some services like XBox create a outbound tunnel, so quite a bit of what you do doesn't directly point to your IP.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

I don’t see how police could help if people are doing it from other countries under VPN’s and servers. I just figure if I turn my router ogg for a day they think I’ve changed it and stop. 

@Beastly wrote:

I don’t see how police could help if people are doing it from other countries under VPN’s and servers. I just figure if I turn my router ogg for a day they think I’ve changed it and stop. 

That's not how it works, no

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid the way the dynamic IP addresses are issued you would  have to keep in off for a indeterminate length of time, until a new device takes over the IP address that was issued to you. The IP address is based on the physical hardware ID of the device in your case the hub, which cannot be changed.

Here are why the IP address changes.

1) Virginmedia restructure the network.

2) You use the hub in modem only mode with your own router connected.

3) You have a new hub, VM will not issue ine unless the hub is faulty.

4) Leave the hub off for an indeterminate length of time until a new device is connected to your local VM network.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

How long would the time period be for it to change?

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that it is not  possible to say, will always depend on a new device being added to the local VM network, could be hrs, days, years.

Regards Mike

If you want to change your WAN IP, use a good router that can change mac addresses.  Put your hub (which is probably crap anyway) in to modem mode.

That's how you can force a new IP.  For some reason they are not telling you this free basic information !