cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped packets , again ,,,,

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Here we go again

13th July, started getting noticeable drop out periods,     BQM monitor shows a few , and the monitors here email me saying no internet !!  ( I get them when internet returns )

Getting worse, day by day

have engineer here 14th Aug after most amazing run around on phone / web for weeks. Becoming expert at resetting hub  / pin in the hole job !!

Looks in logs,checks cable etc, Engineer says nothing worng with hub, apart from the fact it keeps dropping packets.    SNR / power / BER et all.

last 24 hours of BQM

virgin.PNG

Been on phone and web today,

Support on phone guy "steve" with heavy accent, put us on hold after a few minutes, and after 10 minutes of silence , line went dead .

Web says come back  in 0 minutes and well help you to book an engineer 

( again)

We have three cables from hub, on to our own wifi AP, one to a PC direct, other to HP switch and other PC's . All lose internet at same point.

Come on virgin. . . . .

This is ( as before ) wither your cable / hub or your "switch / exchnage"

I have two teenagers, 

can I give them your number , so you can explain what your doing,  as my ears hurt

And were paying almost 75 pounds per month for this !!

come on.

41 REPLIES 41

An update

Had the 4th engineer visit in a 6 weeks

they have changed the Hub, is this the 4th in 6 weeks,

Now on a hub 5.  We started on Hub 4, had bene on that for years, then the last "engineer" said we did not need a Hub 4, so put in an old hub 3.

This guy has put in a hub 5, and he has changed the power brick, 

So done all the set ups,

Have a Broad band monitor on this now, as IP address had as expected changed,

Out of interest

Last week, had hub (3) unplugged from house in afternoon / night .  i.e. just hub connected to coax,

was still seeing BQM reporting dropouts ,

We shall see in a few days how its going,

Well

that lasted ,  not,

virgin 13 Sep 2022 Hub 5.PNG

Three total drop outs for minutes at a time, and many dropped packets  throughout,

So do I now have to take yet another morning off to see an engineer, and have the 5th new hub installed ?

As self employed, this is getting VERY expensive  !! 

It almost would have been cheaper to have had a fibre run to the house !

I've been having the same problems starting roughly the same time as yours. I haven't had an engineer out yet but based on your experience, I think I will wait until you get a resolution!

Good luck.. It's super frustrating.. I'd know! 

Interesting

I've just had an email from virgin support team asking us not to contact the virgin employee whos been supporting us on PM and sending the engineers till now.

Wonder why , have they left ?

or is it because its still on going , virgin are not interested ?

They hate their customers !  Or more correctly, they want to control the communication channel so that they can more reliably schedule the work. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi andrewmm, 

Thank you for reaching back out to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues following the visit from the technician and changing of the Hub. 

I have ran a check from my side and can confirm everything does appear to be running within specification with no errors detected. 

How have things been since your last post to the thread?

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi, 

well you almost made it.

A recap. I think its 4 visits of engineers, 3 new hubs ( hub 3, 4 and now 5 )

problem is dropped packets, to an extent that the system reports loss of internet.

this is with a PC directly connected via cable to the hub as well as others connected to my own ethernet switched network, on the hubs other ports.

Had a hub 5 installed last week, and the "engineer" reversed the cable form the wall to the hub as it was "back to front" 

We received an even worse system,

after few days , and a few more resets of the hub, no improvment, long chat with your pone support people,

after they insisted I reset the hub " again" ,...   they "pressed some buttons your end" and another reset, and 

amazingly, the link lookes better,

few days of no drop outs,

SO was just going to say well done, when

I took one more look a the broadband monitor site, and today we had drop outs again, 

so , Not fixed. virgin 20 Sep 2022 Hub 5.PNG

Thank you for the update @andrewmm, I'm sorry to see that you are still having issues with your connection.

I can see that you have spoken to the team since your last post. Have they been able to help with getting your issue resolved?

Please let us know if you need any further support with this, we will be happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Your wrong. I've not talked to or heard anything from the team since last post 

Apart from the email saying the broadband monitor graph was not valid , despite all others being valid. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I see, thank you for your reply andrewmm. 

Can you please try reposting the graph without any personal information or you can post the link for us to access it. 

Thank you 

Nat 

Nat