cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropouts

quigs57
Tuning in

My installation was on 12th July. All was good and I used the Virgin Connect app to scan dark spots around my home.

my lowest speed in the furthest away room from the hub 3 was 25. By the hub it reached speeds of 120.

I was happy with the 25 and thought I must order some pods just in case.

Four days in my speed in the furthest room is much lower and sometimes non existent. The Virgin Connect App says it’s Poor and I need pods.

I have followed all procedures suggested including reboots and factory reset but the scans still suggest poor and I need pods.

pods are like gold dust. They are unavailable. I am a new customer and feeling let down and disillusioned by the Virgin Promise.

the speeds by my hub 3 router are still good but sometimes you just have to move to other rooms.

Any suggestions??

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, as you know VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you and they are now back in stock and available to order.

However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever - but it isn’t the simple low tech plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just to say that the new Virgin Pod solved this problem. I now have a Speed of 20mbps + halfway down my garden as well as great speeds throughout my home. One important factor though: it says in the installation guide to allow the Pod 24 hours to settle down and this is important.

At first I found a suitable place to plug in the Pod and like most things in life impatience took over. I thought I’d start testing its capabilities straight away and thought this isn’t going to do what it’s supposed to.

After a day of frustration I decided to leave it all alone for the “24 hour settling in period” and now it’s working really well.

Previously by the hub router my speed was 115mbps and the furthest away room about 10mbps now the furthest away room reaches a speed of 40mbps and more.

All working well long May it continue supporting the 38 items running around my home. Mainly smart plugs, speakers and Alexas. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Really glad to hear the WiFI pod ha improved things for you quigs57 - thank you for keeping the thread updated it's much appreciated. 

If you encounter any more problems, or if there's anything else we can help with please don't hesitate to give us another shout.

Tom