cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double NAT or other communication problem

KrayZt_UK
Tuning in

Hey,

I have been having troubles with my internet, what began as a seemingly intermittent and slow connection, eventually turned into complete inability for services to communicate with my networ.

I usually have a set up where my own router is hardwired into the SH4 in modem mode, and then my PC is hardwired into the router..
I have also tried using the PCC directly hardwired to the SH4 in both modem mode and in router mode.

When running a trace route in each of the possible set ups, I am faced with the same outcome..

a) SH4 Modem Mode > Router > PC:

Tracing route to virginmedia.com [213.105.9.24]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 10 ms 8 ms 7 ms 10.53.38.241
3 15 ms 14 ms 11 ms sgyl-core-2b-xe-110-0.network.virginmedia.net [82.2.246.221]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 22 ms 22 ms 19 ms know-dclcore-1a-port-channel1.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.85.18]
6 20 ms 20 ms 17 ms www.virginmedia.com [213.105.9.24]

Trace complete.

b) SH4 Route Mode > Router > PC:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
3 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.53.38.241
4 14 ms 9 ms 11 ms sgyl-core-2b-xe-8118-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.48.29]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 19 ms 19 ms 17 ms know-dclcore-1a-port-channel1.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.85.18]
7 16 ms 17 ms 18 ms www.virginmedia.com [213.105.9.24]

Trace complete.

c) SH4 Modem Mode > PC:

1 10 ms 9 ms 8 ms 10.53.38.241
2 14 ms 18 ms 11 ms sgyl-core-2b-xe-110-0.network.virginmedia.net [82.2.246.221]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms know-dclcore-1a-port-channel1.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.85.18]
5 18 ms 20 ms 18 ms www.virginmedia.com [213.105.9.24]

Trace complete.

d) SH4 Router Mode > PC:

1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 10.53.38.241
3 11 ms 10 ms 8 ms sgyl-core-2b-xe-8118-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.48.29]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms know-dclcore-1a-port-channel1.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.85.18]
6 17 ms 17 ms 19 ms www.virginmedia.com [213.105.9.24]

Trace complete.

...a technical support member of Ubisoft and elsewhere have told me that from the trace route it appears to be a Double NAT, whether it is or not, the outcome is the same as if it were... Services are unable to communicate with my network and vice versa, causing some things to entirely be unreachable, and others to intermittently disconnect due to a timeout..

I have no idea of anythiong else I can attempt myself, and telephone support at Virgin have been utterly useless and left me waiting for longer than they should have for a call back from somebody who would have the ability to help fix this..

20 REPLIES 20

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

What exactly is the issue? What are you not able to reach?

You're not running Double-NAT

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jem101
Superstar

Only b) in your examples above is a double-nat - the others would be just fine.

and yet all four give "Request timed out", the IP beginning "10.x" was not there until the 24th Januatry, and since it appeared I have been getting these issues where services are "unreachable"..
the support for the services which are failing to connect are telling me the issue seems to be double NAT (or some kind of internal ISP IP causing a problem).

It may not be a Double NAT, hence the subject saying "or other communication problem", but whatever the problem is it is causing my network to be unable to communicate properly on the WAN.

This issue is the same across multiple devices (I have tried things on wireless both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, and on PS4 via Ethernet as well), on top of this it happens with multiple online services, the only thing that is the same across every scenario is the internet provider and their internet service.

Yet all four give "Request timed out", the IP beginning "10.x" was not there until the 24th Januatry, and since it appeared I have been getting these issues where services are "unreachable"..
the support for the services which are failing to connect are telling me the issue seems to be double NAT (or some kind of internal ISP IP causing a problem).

It may not be a Double NAT, hence the subject saying "or other communication problem", but whatever the problem is it is causing my network to be unable to communicate properly on the WAN.

This issue is the same across multiple devices (I have tried things on wireless both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, and on PS4 via Ethernet as well), on top of this it happens with multiple online services, the only thing that is the same across every scenario is the internet provider and their internet service.

Multiple games, including but not limited to Dead By Daylight, R6 Extraction and R6 Siege, all either fail to c onnect (acting as if I am offline) or disconnect me intermittently and randomly due to a timeout in communication that causes it to then think I haver gone offline.

The request timed out it just a hop that’s not responding or doesn’t respond.
There’s no issue with it.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

this is another example of that i am seeing, so seeing as the services/games' supports are telling me it's an issue with ISP side of things not their side, what could be causing this if not a double NAT?
ubisoft.tracert.jpg

Do you have a new hub? Or has your WAN IP changed recently?

Does the issue appear in both modem mode with your own router and router mode connecting just to the hub?

I was upgraded to Gig1 last month, the issue started about a week after the SH4 had been connected to replace the SH3.
The issue didn't start immediately after the upgrade to Gig1 and everything was working, allbeit slowly, for the first week.

I have the same problem regardless of how I set up the connection, i've tried with the SH4 in modem mode and not, i've tried using my router as well and not using it.
An engineer came out to check my network signal recently and found no faults or issues, it seems to be external to the LAN and it acts out like a Double NAT situation causes.. Every search for things online is finding me results that say about Double NAT issues, and as I have only got the one NAT on my LAn I know that it either isn't that or if there is a second NAT in the connection it is external to my LAN somehow and that makes no sense to me..

The virgin media support on the phone told me that the IP beginning "10.x" doesn't match the IP they can see on the system for my hub but it does also start "10.x, but in my LAn the SH is only ever a "192.x".

I am stumped as to what it may be, and how it may be fixed..