cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the hub 4 act like a switch in modem mode?

danwellman
On our wavelength

I've just got a hub 4 and the 360 box, and connected everything up - it's all working fine.

I'm just curious - when in modem mode, does the hub 4 act like a switch? I.E. can I connect other devices to the hub 4 and access them on the network as if they were connected directly to the router? I only ask because I've used up all of the network ports on my router now, and there are 3 empty ones just sitting there on the hub 4.

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, the Hub4 does not act as a switch when in modem mode, only one port is active and this should go to your own router.

Router mode:

Hub4 ———-> Modem ————> Router ———-> WiFi
                                                                  |———-> Network Switch

Modem mode:

Hub4 ———-> Modem - - - - - - - - -> Your own router

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

In short. No.

The other ports will work in a balanced mode LAG. So can also be connected to your router to provide the full bandwidth to your network. Albeit across multiple connections.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get a switch connect it to your router for more ports
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Port-Desktop-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B017N0DTZM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=47S2SC...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi danwellman, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I thank your fellow community members for giving you the benefit of their amazing knowledge.  I really cannot add anything to what they've advised.  You can find a lot of information about our hubs, here.  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R