Menu
Highlighted
Clare391
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Does it matter where in the house your hub is located?

I have the hub 3 and a WiFi booster..but my porch security camera is still not getting a good connection? The hub is upstairs in the back bedroom, the man said it doesn’t make a difference as to where you have the hub, signal should be the same? Is this correct? 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does it matter where in the house your hub is located?

Well the use of a booster complicates things a little but essentially the location of the hub is important and ideally should be fairly centrally placed relative to the areas you want to get a signal to and from (remember Wi-Fi is two way).  The Wi-Fi signal, by law, is not very strong to start with and will be affected by how many walls it has to get through, what those walls are made of, possible interference from household appliances and neighbours' Wi-Fi signals etc etc.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

it does matter where you place the hub since the coverage range is rather poor, what wifi booster do you have?, since that will just take already weak signal and re-transmit.. could try and split the wifi on the hub -> https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Connecting-WiFi-adaptor-for-air-con/td-p/36...

to increase range could attach a wireless access point into the hub, these cost around £40+ for something decent.

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, having a camera outside the door is just about the worst possible place. Your WiFi signal is reduced by passing through the door and/or wall, but the camera is in open space and in view of others' routers.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also get a wifi analyser app on your smartphone and check the wireless environment whilst standing outside by the closed door. That will give you the relative strength of your signals (2 if you split the SSID's as suggested) compared to your neighbours. Then you can shift your 2.4 GHz channel to one of 1,6,11 that is NOT being used (hopefully) by a neighbour.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Clare391
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

Unfortunately, having a camera outside the door is just about the worst possible place. Your WiFi signal is reduced by passing through the door and/or wall, but the camera is in open space and in view of others' routers.

The camera is in the porch, I asked for the technician to install the hub by the telephone which is the other side of the porch (front door) then when he realised I already had a virgin connection upstairs he said it wouldn’t matter where the hub was and that the signal would be the same wherever it was placed? I called up Virgin a week later to say I think I need the hub moved closer to the camera ansnshe suggested a WiFi booster which is plugged in by the phone, the lady said the tech was correct in what he said, well the booster made no difference at all, we even tried connecting my friends Ring outdoor camera and that didn’t even find a signal! (WiFi on all other devices indoors are fine)

Would getting a technician out to move the hub closer make much difference do you think? 

Thank youSmiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Clare391
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@paultechy wrote:
it does matter where you place the hub since the coverage range is rather poor, what wifi booster do you have?, since that will just take already weak signal and re-transmit.. could try and split the wifi on the hub -> https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Connecting-WiFi-adaptor-for-air-con/td-p/36...

to increase range could attach a wireless access point into the hub, these cost around £40+ for something decent.

Virgin sent me there’s which will cost me an extra £3 a month! Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sound like the technician made life easy for themselves rather than for you. Moving it closer will certainly help the connection to the camera  - but of course might diminish signal elsewhere and as they say a booster should also help, To move the Hub will be a £99 "no fault" call out charge - unless you can blag one for free by calling "retentions" and say you werent happy with the way the technician didnt put the Hub where you wanted it you etc etc.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Clare391
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

Sound like the technician made life easy for themselves rather than for you. Moving it closer will certainly help the connection to the camera  - but of course might diminish signal elsewhere and as they say a booster should also help, To move the Hub will be a £99 "no fault" call out charge - unless you can blag one for free by calling "retentions" and say you werent happy with the way the technician didnt put the Hub where you wanted it you etc etc.

This is what I said when I called up and she told me there would be a charge and I said well no I’m not paying as I feel the tech told me the wrong information and the lady said that the tech was correct but I could go through to the technical team and ask them but convinced me to get the booster:/ 

I think I’m going to call up and get them out to move it downstairsSmiley Happy)

Thank you so much for all your help!!Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 (or 0800 9528046) - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open Monday – Friday, 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. – [08.01 is best!]) you have a better chance of getting a UK call centre (it could still be a 30’+ wait though) who will be more understanding and helpful. Tell them you are thinking of cancelling because of these problems - and they will try and sort it for you - hopefully without a charge

--------------------
0 Kudos