cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it cost more to remove internet?

Bp129
Joining in

Hi guys,

My virgin media internet has been horrible recently so I was thinking to switch it. I called virgin media last week, and they said if i were to remove my internet and keep my telephone/TV as is, the bill would be reduced by £30.

I then called them yesterday to go ahead with that, and I was told that to remove the internet would be more expensive as they would have to upgrade my TV package????????? Does this seem correct or was the customer service rep wrong here? It doesn't make sense to me that it would cost more to remove my internet. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

We can't say, because VM's sales and retentions team have unknowable latitude on pricing, and perhaps access to different deals between the two teams, and possibly access to pricing that varies over time.  If you're speaking to retentions, they have considerable scope, but they are (or should be) incentivised to retain customers at the minimum discount, meaning that different agents may well offer different deals in response to how they are working towards bonus targets.  That also means you can't leave a deal on the table to consider it - you agree it there and then, or you take your chances that when you phone again you might not be offered as good a deal, as in this case.

That does also mean you can call a third time and try for a different outcome, but to get a better outcome you will almost certainly need to say that the deal isn't attractive and unless they do a lot better you'll cancel the lot and take all your business to Sky/BT.  Take a look at Uswitch or similar to see what new customer deals those companies are offering, so that you know the score, and tell that to the agent, see how that goes.  Keep it cheerful and polite, they're doing their job, and this is a bit of a game.  You need to outflank them so that you get offered their best price, and remember that customer loyalty or any perception of "fairness" counts for nothing - all that matters is whether they believe you'll leave, and the offers you can get from other companies.

You can only remove your broadband if you have the TiVo box and do not get your phone from the hub, and you should note the following.

(1) Within a few years the TiVo will be gone and the replacement box must have VM's broadband to work.

(2) If you switch to BT TV or TalkTalk TV you will have to take their broadband.

(3) Following on from (2) your only comparable Pay TV option is Sky which requires a satellite dish or the purchase of a Sky Glass TV, but you don't have to take Sky's broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bp129, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your broadband, causing you to want to change. We're happy to take a look at things to see what's going on but I've not been able to locate your account. If you would like us to take a look at things then reply to the private message I have sent you. 

In terms of the package change and prices itself, we're not able to look at this as we don't deal with package changes. If you just want to remove the broadband then speak to the team on 0345 454 1111 and they can check on things for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs