cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does hub 3 have to be in modem mode to add a router?

slicendice73
Tuning in

My sister has really bad wifi in her house, to the extent they have to run a cat5 cable from the VM hub to the TV to be able to stream Netflix, etc.

I've tried various things to improve it but none have really worked. So I want to try adding a wired router to the VM hub 3 and using it as a wireless access point...i.e. run a cat5 cable from the VM hub to the router and position it somewhere nearer the centre of the house.

What I'm wondering is, would the VM hub have to be put in modem mode? Or could it be left in router mode? Two reasons for asking this:
1) there are several devices currently plugged directly into the ports on the hub and I believe putting the hub into modem mode deactivates all but the first one...is that correct?
2) if the hub can remain in router mode then presumably both it and the new router will kick out wifi...is that also correct?

In terms of the new router, I was thinking of getting the TP-Link AC1750...seems to be a decent bit of kit that is well reviewed. Can anyone confirm whether these play nicely with the VM hub 3?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Twyst
On our wavelength

Unless you are really into networking as a hobby you generally only have one router.

However, you can plug as many wireless access points into it as you like. If you run out of ports, add a switch to give more ports.

You can put the Archer C7 in Access Point only mode so you could keep the Hub3 in router mode.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats correct - but the TP-Link router is a quantum leap improvement in performance - so why limit its performance by using the Hub's router and buggy firmware.

Jut put the Hub into modem mode and use the C7 for everything else. If you need more ethernet ports then there will be 4 to use on the C7 and just add a cheap unmanaged switch if you need more

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@slicendice73 wrote:

1) there are several devices currently plugged directly into the ports on the hub and I believe putting the hub into modem mode deactivates all but the first one...is that correct?
2) if the hub can remain in router mode then presumably both it and the new router will kick out wifi...is that also correct?

Both correct.  Remember if you were to use the new router as an additional access point/switch remote from the hub you will to;

• Ensure both the hub and the new router are configured correctly - if you are going to use the hub as your router disable DHCP and firewall etc. on the new router so they share the same subnet etc.  Otherwise you can start to get various issues.  Also to avoid double NAT and so on.  So you would put the new router into the correct mode.
  • Configure SSIDs (network names) - the new router could use the same network name as the hub, or a separate one.
  • Do some WiFi channel management - based on a 'survey' of the house to avoid neighbours, and picking appropriate channels.  Leaving both on auto may also work but may 'get it wrong'.

However, I would do as already suggested - put the hub in modem mode and use the new router as the main one.  See how it performs as the only wireless access point in the home.  Use just one Ethernet port on the hub and run the wired device connections off the new router.  If you need more ports get a small switch.  If there is still inadequate wireless coverage add an additional wireless access point.  That's what I do.  I just use an old ISP hub with the DHCP etc. turned off (a BT Home Hub).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

slicendice73
Tuning in

Thank you all very much for the input - much appreciated

Sounds like just using the new router for wifi would make the most sense and probably give the best performance.

I'll give it a go and see if things improve...I may well be back with further queries! 😉

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See message 15 in this other thread I am in with instructions on how to do the set up

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-speed-since-1st-connection/td-p/4882966/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.