Menu
Dinofish
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Does a Powerline WiFi Booster really work, and how do I get it?

Does a Powerline WiFi Booster really work in improving the signal throughout a house?

How do I get it?  Is tis something I can get from Virgin or do I simply buy it myself?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does a Powerline WiFi Booster really work, and how do I get it?

a lot of people recommend using devolo wifi hardware this send internet around the internal power cables, they aren't the cheapest.. so one plug is connected to the hub and the other plug picks this up and sends out wifi.. there is other hardware you can get such as Wireless Access Points (WAP)

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Some work and some dont. It depends if your house is on 1 ring main. Virgin do supply them but for a monthly subscription. Probably better buying your own. Argos, pc world, sell them.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Dinofish wrote:

Does a Powerline WiFi Booster really work in improving the signal throughout a house?

How do I get it?  Is tis something I can get from Virgin or do I simply buy it myself?

You would be much better investing your monies into a good wifi router or access point.  What is your budget? Good ones of either can be had in the £60-100 range (my lad paid £80 for a pair of Solwise Powerline adapters).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Shweby wrote:

Some work and some dont. It depends if your house is on 1 ring main. Virgin do supply them but for a monthly subscription. Probably better buying your own. Argos, pc world, sell them.

?????  Where's that on their web site?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Sephiroth wrote:

@Shweby wrote:

Probably isnt on the website. If a service tech visits a customer for a bb fault and determines the issue is poor wifi coverage that can be solved by boosters, the engineer can provide them as long as the customer agrees to the monthly cost. Which varies depending on what package you have, but is around £3/£4 a month.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Shweby wrote:

@Sephiroth wrote:

@Shweby wrote:

Probably isnt on the website. If a service tech visits a customer for a bb fault and determines the issue is poor wifi coverage that can be solved by boosters, the engineer can provide them as long as the customer agrees to the monthly cost. Which varies depending on what package you have, but is around £3/£4 a month.

@I really hope that a VM bod or @BenMcr can confirm this or otherwise. Highly irregular if true.

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Would you like me to go down to my van and take a photo of said boosters? @benmcr isnt the only VM employee who uses this forum.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Shweby wrote:

@Would you like me to go down to my van and take a photo of said boosters? @BenMcr isnt the only VM employee who uses this forum.

You kept that to yourself.  It would have helped if you had indicated in your signature that you were a VM employee.  You may know that VM did sell them (Netgear PLW1000/1200).  I've got several.  So you would have the rental paperwork on your van? Or how is it done?

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We did indeed used to sell those. In the last couple of months we have bought out 'wifi boosters' they are basicly the same as powerlines but alot better and more reliable than traditional powerline adaptors. If we determine a customer needs them and they are happy with the charge, we phone up activations, give the seriel number and they get added to the account same as a hub or stb would. Takes 5 mins to pair the 2 units together and thats about it. Like i said they are fairly new, so understandable if most customers dont no about them.