Menu
chenks
Community elder
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin's Hub 3 work with a Switch?

yes it does, but the hub3 uses 192.168.0.x, and your previous network may have used something different, so any device that was set with a static IP manually (ie not via an assigned static IP) would essentially be "off the network" until it was given a 192.168.0.x IP address.

you'll need to set up any port forwarding again on the hub3 once you have assigned the devices a static IP.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Once you need to do anything out of the ordinary like port forwarding or DHCP reservations you should put the hub into modem mode and use your own router.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Once you need to do anything out of the ordinary like port forwarding or DHCP reservations you should put the hub into modem mode and use your own router.

it's not a requirement though.
the hub3 is perfectly capable of doing DHCP reservations and port forwarding.
it worked fine for me for the period that i used the hub3 in router mode.\

it's poor advice to suggest someone spend money when you don't even know that it won't work for them using stock hardware.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, but there are two problems.

1. There are plenty of reported difficulties in actually setting these up.

2. You never know when the next hub upgrade will come along and wipe out your configuration.

It's for these reasons that I've got my hub in modem mode and am not concerned about upgrades. The OP has "dozens of devices" but he's using a hub which is suitable for basic usage.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

i'm not arguing about that, but we don't even know that it won't work for the OP yet, it might work perfectly fine. so it this point suggesting to buy new hardware is a little misguided.

with regards to the number of reported difficulties, it's a fairly one sided survey, as the ones with no problems don't tend to come here and report that everything is working fine. you only hear from those with issues.

there are quite a few people here where the default response to anything is "put the hub in modem mode and buy a router with 1Gbps ports" with no attempt to even troubleshoot the issue. that's just bad advice (if it's even advice at all).

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes put the hub in modem mode and buy a router with 1Gbps ports.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

could you put the hub 3 in modem mode and use the bt homehub if it is the older model with a wan input?

0 Kudos