Menu
Highlighted
jamesvsjaws
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Does Virgin's Hub 3 work with a Switch?

I have recently had Virgin installed, something we have been waiting for years as our rural community has very poor BT service (2mbs). Despite this poor service we have a smart home with dozens of devices running off a TP Link POE Switch which connected to our BT Home Hub. Switch our to Virgin and now none of this works. 

This is our first experience of Virgin's equipment and first impressions aren't good as I've had to reset four times in the first 24 hours to able to simply log in), when I have logged in the Hub 3 doesn't see anything connected to the switch (cameras, smart home server, wireless access points, DVR, apple TV etc etc). It does see our Smart TV, Xbox and V6 Box, which are also directly connected to it. 

I've trawled these forums for any guidance and it appears from the posts out there that the Hub 3 doesn't work with Switch's and we would be better off buying a stand alone Router. Id be grateful for any clarification out there before I invest in more tech as I'm a little dismayed that where then BT Home Hub operated well (albeit across a slow connection, the virgin Hub 3 is the opposite fast connection but poor interoperability.

Is this really the case and if so what Router /set up would people recommend?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin's Hub 3 work with a Switch?

the hub3 does work with switches, but there is some anecdotal evidence that "some" switches are problematic.

any recommendations would entirely be restricted by your budget.
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A few people have reported that the connection to the hub with a cat 6 rather than a cat 5e cable works better.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jamesvsjaws
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Wise Owl, well I have three TP Link switches and it works with none of them so I'm 0/3 at this point. I don't have all three running at the same time but have tried all three in different configurations to try and find a solution, with no luck. 

In terms of budget, I want the system to work and work well as the whole house is connected. I guess if I was to put a number on it I wouldn't want to spend more than a few hundred pounds on a solution unless there was a guarantee of success.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

well spending anything under £200 isn't going to give you much in terms of "quality" equipment if you were buying more than just an "all-in-one" router, in my opinion.

might be best to try some simple troubleshooting first of all.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A cat 6 cable costs a few Pounds.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jamesvsjaws
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Roger_Gooner the whole house is wired with Cat 6, ill double check the wires to and from the devices are as well. 

0 Kudos
jamesvsjaws
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Wise Owl, unless there's good reason to invest heavily I would rather not and as the system worked fine with BT Smart Hub. I've spent two days playing with this doing just about all the trouble shooting I can do, but as I cannot get the switch recognised on the Hub 3 it means the troubleshooting is limited.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

try differnet ethernet cables between the hub and switches.
are the devices set to DHCP? or could they have static IPs set outside the subnet that the hub3 uses?

have you tried connecting the troublesome devices direct to the hub3 to see if they work there?
it's possible the switches are a red herring and you really need to rule them in (or out) by removing them from the testing.
0 Kudos
jamesvsjaws
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'll recheck them all, though from memory there are a few like the smart home server that have static IP and port forwarding set up and others that simply set to DHCP. Does Hub 3 support static IP's?

0 Kudos