cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Virgin have the worst customer service in the History of the World? How to I make a formal complaint

Reluctantly
Tuning in

Every time I get ready to call virgin media the muscles in my back get tight with stress and I feel a panic attack is not far away. This seems like a system designed only to torment you. 

I am leaving the country in one month and I simply want to register my leaving date with virgin and cancel my broadband. This should be a simple enough process, 5 minutes? Ten minutes at most?

I called virgin customer services at 6pm this evening and got into a queue with music playing, after 20 minutes the line went dead. I repeated this three times, so that's an hour of waiting listening to music plus the time it takes to go through the menu/enter your details. The fourth time I tried a different route through the process (I selected the option of wanting to "discuss leaving" instead of "wanting to leave") - this time after 20 minutes I got through to someone who told me that they could not do it for me but that they would transfer me to their disconnection department that could help me. After another 20 minute wait listening to music another person answered, she said she would have to get someone to do it and that it wouldn't be long - I was put on hold for another ten minutes then she came back to tell me she was still there and that it wouldn't be long - after another ten minutes the music stopped and the line went completely quiet although I was still connected - I stayed on the line hoping that someone would eventually take my call, after five minutes or so of silence I heard some keyboard typing on the other end of the line just before the line went completely dead. I tried to call again but was met with an automated response saying that the lines were now closed for the evening. 

My first call was made at 6pm and it's now 9:18 pm and I am no better than I was when I started more than three hours ago. 

Can anyone tell me where to direct a formal complaint?

I also wondered if anyone knew what the implications would be of just cancelling my direct debit immediately? I have after all committed over three hours this evening trying to inform virgin of my leaving date. Am I to assume from their response to my calls this evening that they do not need to know????

104 REPLIES 104

Packages cannot be changed here. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Imagine signing up to a dating agency and your first date is an arrangement to meet outside a restaurant.

It's raining, the wind is blowing and your hair is going out of shape.

Nevertheless you stay there - they are late, probably having difficulty hailing a taxi.

Still no show, your flowers are getting messy but you are still hopeful that your date will turn up.

Time passes and you are beginning to realise that they are not coming. No text to that effect, no phone call with a rain check.

THAT's how I have been feeling this past 2 hours.

Yes I assumed that is the case. I just needed somewhere to vent my frustration somewhere that someone actually reads and responds to.

...ok?

You need to understand it’s a busy time and call centre staff are limited due to COVID outbreaks in locations where call centre are located. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

@winlam wrote:

Yes I assumed that is the case. I just needed somewhere to vent my frustration somewhere that someone actually reads and responds to.

Then you need post in the “chatter” part of the forum rather than the support part where people require help with technical issues. 

Please do not try to wind me up.

Of course I am fully aware of that. However, I haven't noticed any difference to their service pre-COVID.

Recently I had to contact my bank and had no issues at all in getting through.

OK.

Well.. good luck.

FYI - I had to call earlier in the week for my parents and was through to someone within 8-10 minutes. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi winlam,

A couple of posts ago you mentioned about regrading your package.

I'm assuming that you originally tried to do this via the MyVirginMedia option, and saw the "Oops" error.

This message often appears and its' usually because the account already has a discount on it, or it's an obselete package, which means the customer has to contact Virgin either by phone or online.

There aren't any forward facing customer email options, and the message us option on the website seldom works correctly at the moment.

You could try the text messaging service.

Just send  a text with a description of regrade  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Personally,  I would call  150 from my  Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, and go through the Home Move, Thinking of Leaving Us options.  This leads to the retentions team who will be able to look at your current package, and also any issues you may have, however,  it's best to call at 8am to avoid call queues.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

Thank you for the advice - I will give it a try!

best wishes

winlam

I am happy for you that you were able to get through so quickly.

What I fail to comprehend is why VM are by far the worst in my experience. I have recently contacted banks, energy suppliers and education centres, all of whom responded in less than 5 minutes and yet I don't pay them over a hundred quid every month!