cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Virgin Media internet work with 3rd party modem?

seb101
Tuning in

Hi all,

Does VM cable internet (350mbps package) work with 3rd party modems?  Specifically the Asus CM-16 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, or the Netgear CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem?

https://www.asus.com/Networking/CM-16/

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1000.aspx

Thanks,

Seb

9 REPLIES 9

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, you cannot replace the hub with another device you need a hub from VM

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Absolutely NOT. VM operates exclusively through VM's own equipment. VM will not allow or support the use of third party equipment to connect to its network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No.

You can put your supplied Hub into modem mode to use with 3rd party routers, however you cannot completely replace the Hub with a 3rd party version.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Why does VM forbid its customers to use 3rd Party Modems on their network? Are they worried that a customer will buy a modem of vastly superior quality than VM currently provides or something? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just curious, given that the Hub 3&4 get such poor reviews for reliability on this forum. 

It would be nice to just pay for Virgin's services and use whatever Modem & Router you choose yourself, but alas I guess that will never happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
support reasons and costs.
you can use your own router

How would they respond to network problems that have a non VM Modem ?

Would you be happy paying maybe £50 / hour for the privilege ?

Because as sure as eggs is eggs there wouldn't be any online support from VM because they would blame the Modem people and the Modem people would blame VM.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

@Cheesewheel wrote:

It would be nice to just pay for Virgin's services and use whatever Modem & Router you choose yourself, but alas I guess that will never happen.

Agreed. I’d ditch the vm hardware in a heartbeat and upgrade my services to faster speeds. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

But if VM did let use are own modem then the hub they give out would not have modem mode so by not letting us use your own modem we all get modem mode on the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I can see that happening, I hadn't considered that, you're right.