cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Virgin 3.0 Hub override Sky Q settings?

Humblebum
Joining in

I installed Sky Q 2TB + a mini-box & booster 4 months ago. Daily, at least once sometimes more, it drops off. I've had 12 Sky engineers out and they are at their wits end trying to figure it out. Finding it even harder to get virgin to help.

Here's what's been done. Original set-up was w-fi and I insisted sticking to that for the first few visits but eventually gave into ethernet cable but it doesn't make any difference. 2.4ghz was disabled and 5ghz enabled. DNS has been set to both Cloudfare and Google public addresses along with both VM options. The mini-box/booster works off the Q Box, although we did revert that once to see if it would make a difference. All the combinations of DNS and frequency settings have been tried, both on Wi-Fi and ethernet. Nothing works I even tried port forwarding recently but the IP address changes automatically on the Sky set-up and the 2.4ghz enabled again, without any humans being involved. 

Seems to me that virgin has the router set somehow to override any changes manually made on the SkyQ. That's the only logical conclusion. I thought port forwarding would beat that but the IP address was changed and you can only make one rule for each address. I've used the Hub 3.0 Settings page and set and reset various options, all with no change. Last visit from Sky we changed channel width from 80mhz/36 to 40mhz/44 but again, mysteriously, that reset itself overnight.

The effect of all this is that the tv guide works so you can search for shows via that, as that comes in via the dish. The router services wifi which is all the other functions such as On Demand, Cinema, Sports etc where the landing page should have a selection of tiles (thumbnails)that allow the viewer to browse for their evening's entertainment. Similar to Netflix and Prime. Those tiles are missing and a blue page with script tells you you have a connection problem. But when you go to settings it tells you the connection to the router and internet are good. Every possible option has been and variation has been tried but it still falls over every day, at least once. To time pattern to it.

Look forward to opinions. If anyone has a contact number for an engineer I'd appreciate that too. Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"One of the Sky guys mentioned it was common for them to change"

What he is talking about is the WAN IP address that rarely changes, but it is not truly static. 

What I was talking about is the LAN IP in the Sky box.

"Should I also disable the DHCP setting?"

No, not in the VM hub, but yes in the Sky device and then it should let you set a LAN IP address like 192.168.0.250 as I suggested. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Port forwarding should not be needed, it’s only for incoming frames. 1) Have you turned off smart/intelligent WiFi in the hub, that causes the channel change on WiFi? 2) you say you have tried different DNS servers, have you stored to set a static IP address in the Sky box? (It’s not a static address is set in the hub, only a reserved one). Should be able to do this as you can set the DNS servers. Suggest an address of say 192.168.0.250

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Reset the Sky Q and ensure that you have Wired Connection selected and that WiFi is disabled, pinhole reset the hub 3 for at least 20 seconds as it's necessary to get all settings back to default. Connect the Sky Q to the hub with an Ethernet cable which you know is working, and report back.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Done all that a while back. Thanks

Thanks Tudor. I set the Smart WiFi to Enable but I see now reading the explainer again what you are suggesting. I'll try that.

Didn't know about static addresses. One of the Sky guys mentioned it was common for them to change, albeit only two different addresses. Should I also disable the DHCP setting?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"One of the Sky guys mentioned it was common for them to change"

What he is talking about is the WAN IP address that rarely changes, but it is not truly static. 

What I was talking about is the LAN IP in the Sky box.

"Should I also disable the DHCP setting?"

No, not in the VM hub, but yes in the Sky device and then it should let you set a LAN IP address like 192.168.0.250 as I suggested. 

Tudor

Thanks again Tudor. It fell over last night, just when i thought it was working! I haven't yet done the DHCP setting in Sky so i'll get advice on how to do that and try again.