cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Docsis or fibre

crakayl
On our wavelength

We are in the process of virgin media in our street digging the pavements up, can someone tell me if its FTTP does this mean straight to hub or straight to box outside the house and then docsis cable to the hub. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Currently Virgin Media's FTTP build is full fibre to a box on the wall which converts it into coax in the home.

In the home you have the same Hub and TV kit as a property which is coax connected from the street.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Currently Virgin Media's FTTP build is full fibre to a box on the wall which converts it into coax in the home.

In the home you have the same Hub and TV kit as a property which is coax connected from the street.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

jem101
Superstar

If it is FTTP then it is fibre to a box on the outside wall and then coax to the VM hub. 

crakayl
On our wavelength

Thank you very much for the information 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As above all VM customers use DOCSIS. If there is a fibre connection to your home the fibre part uses RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass) and the external box on your house converts it to DOCSIS. The external box also has an internal power plug in this case.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

crakayl
On our wavelength

Hi all,

glad to say our street is now part of Virgin media with cabling in street all finished, our Town is split into 4 areas with Virgin media laying cabling in all of them. does Virgin media go live in 1 area at a time or will they wait until all 4 areas are complete before going live ?. any information on a timescale for going live would be great.

Hi @crakayl

Welcome to the community!

I can see that your original query has been correctly answered by other community members. We would unfortunately not be able to advise on a timescale for when we will be accepting new customer installs in your area. If you would like to receive notification of when it is, you can sign up here on our postcode checker

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us again on community, we'll be here to help if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley