Menu
Highlighted
bob8
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do upstream power levels look low?

I wonder if anyone can help.

A relative has had Virgin 100mb broadband re-installed (self install) last weekend. New Hub 3 supplied.   They used to have 100mb and use a Superhub 2ac until last year.

They've been having bizarre issues, mostly with wifi which we're still investigating.

In the mean time, can someone review the power levels in screen captures below.  Do the upstream power levels look right as they seem far lower than quoted in Sephiroth's technical primer ?

Thanks in advance

Downstream

4virgin1.jpg

Upstream - do these figures look low?

4virgin2.jpg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Do upstream power levels look low?

There is a bug in the current firmware when looking at the upstream levels.  You need to multiply the figure shown by 10 to get the actual level. A level of 43 is well within range.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

bob8
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Graham for quick reply.

Confirming the power levels can't have anything to do with wifi problems.

My relative just phoned again moments ago to moan about the wifi playing up.  Earlier today, iphones were connecting to 5 GHz wifi just fine and speed tests returned good speeds.  But a Windows 10 laptop and a macbook air 2018 connected to 5 GHz wifi ok, but had no internet connectivity.  They tried connecting to 2.4 GHz wifi from Hub 3 with same issue.  Rebooting the hub didn't help.

I've talked them through connecting up an old dual band wireless N wireless access point and turned off Hub 3's 5 GHz wifi, to see if it makes any difference.

Only other thought is whether the devices are having issues with IPv4 vs IPv6 connectivity. I don't know if Virgin and Hub 3 support IPv6.  I don't recall IPv6 being available when they had the superhub 2ac.

I knew the hub 3 has a poor reputation for wifi compared to previous 2ac, but didn't think it was going to be this bad....

ho hum

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media don't yet use IPv6.

You will see a lot of posts about the WiFi capabilities of the VM range of hubs.  My experience is that the Hub3 is no better or worse than the SH2ac.  WiFi performance is very much affected by local situations, eg position of the hub, width of walls, etc etc.  

I found that moving my Hub a couple of meters from the study to the landing improved coverage considerably.

VM also now have the VM connect app that can check for blind spots and if appropriate offer the chance to get WiFi boosters.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
EightBall
Superfast
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try logging into the modem and switching off intellegent wifi.

bob8
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for clarifying IPv6 (non)availability.

I believe they have tried the laptops in same room as the hub 3 to no avail.  To affect both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands is rather bizarre too.

For the Hub 3, I notice there are options to change the bandwidth in advanced settings I think.  Earlier, I wanted to try and force the Hub 3 to use 20 or 40 MHz width on 5 GHz SSID.  But they were greyed out.  Is this normal?

In the mean time, I'll see how they get on with the old 802.11n wireless access point on 5 GHz band over the next day or two. 

Trying modem mode is next on the list if internet connectivity issue persist with certain devices.

Ethernet and powerline wired streaming devices seem to be fine.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The bandwidth and channel options are greyed out if intelligent WiFi option is selected.  This is designed to check for other competing equipment in the vicinity and choose a less congested option.

As the previous poster implied some users doubt the validity of the process.

There are other community members more qualified than me to progress this discussion.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bob8
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No problem.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

0 Kudos
bob8
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update

I think we found the problem for the wifi issues.

The hub 3's wifi was NOT to blame after all.  All wifi devices were connecting to it, and acquired IP address, gateway and DNS, but only some wifi devices could access and ping the internet.

It turns out it was caused by something coming into the hub from the single hard wired ethernet connection. All wifi devices started working perfectly after unplugging the cable.

We've pinned the cause down to either a gigabit switch or a powerline adapter.  If the problem returns after making some further changes, we should hopefully be able to identify the rogue ethernet device.

Hub 3's wifi settings have been restored to default settings.  Smart wifi enabled.

bob8
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 and powerline adapter problems

Update 2

The original problem is still not resolved where wireless devices (mainly laptops) connect to Hub 3 wifi but are unable to access internet.  We narrowed the issue down to the TPlink AV500/600 powerline adapter network.  All the adapters have been replaced with spare ones and observed the issue is less frequent.  We haven't been able to isolate the issue to a particular remote powerline adapter/location or ethernet device - only common factor is the powerline adapter that is wired directly to the Hub 3.

A couple of days ago, I installed a redundant cheap router (WAN configured as dhcp client) in between the Hub 3 (in router mode) and the TPlink powerline adapter.  I speculate the powerline adapter network may be incompatible with the Hub 3 when directly wired due to a software bug in the Hub 3.   Wireless devices will continue to use the Hub 3's wifi after making this modification.  It is too early to say whether this cheap mod will resolve the problem.  We wish to avoid having to buy a new gigabit cable wireless router to use with Hub 3 in 'modem mode' which would probably cost £60 and upwards.

0 Kudos