cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do any of Virgin's hubs support NAT Loopback

Danger0101
Tuning in

So I just wanted to ask this to see if any one has any clear cut answers as to if any of virgin media's hubs support NAT Loopback.

Also before any one gets funny and says just put modem mode on and get your own router I have and its worked to an extent.

So the weird thing here is we have approximately 5 ethernet connections so we needed to add a second router which worked or so we thought. Now I know this will sound more of a PC related issue getting the person having the issue to understand why wont work they are way to stubborn. I set up the hub 3 in modem. hooked up both the routers appropriately. I've set up the connection in every way you can think of except a Wireless bridge.

Now to the issue that a hub supporting Net Loopback may fix. The primary router is hooked to one PC as it stand right now unless the second is needed. Everything runs fine with the single router and that PC. We get second router set up in any config and we get an extension to the service all DHCP is being handled by router 1. Everything continues to work fine until Tarkov is played on PC 1. The only PC on 1st router. Then PC 1 looses all network connection (windows trouble shooter finds nothing wrong) at first I thought maybe tarkov may have been turning of the Network adapter nope and from a router stand point all looks fine. Only way to fix the issue is to reset modem and router. So I tried the second router in other combinations of getting it to work in tandem with the first and making sure all devices on 2nd router would connect to maybe have a better understanding of the overall issue. So after many different configurations tests the issue persisted.

The only configurations that have worked and not had any issues at all are hub in router mode with the extended ethernet coverage by router 2; and waning hub in modem with just router 1 and PC one connected.

Hub 3 (Many years old now)
TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 - Router 1
Connections:
2 PCs and the modem (to WAN port)

NETGEAR (R6260) - Router 2
Connections:
Server PC
2 Gaming PC's

Total connections:
4 Gaming PC's
1 Server PC (game hosting)
Numerous Wifi devices I would say 15-20 between the smart phones and other smart products.

So as it stands now if there were a hub with NAT Loopback it would be one easier to set up get working and less likely to cause fault from what I am experiencing right now. Also it will satisfy the person who would rather skip a second router in the first place as they don't understand or want to understand why NAT Loopback is needed in the SOHO set up.

Thank you and sorry for wall-o-text was trying to shorten it as best I can with out loosing to much detail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

I would use the second router as a WAP & set it up as follows ...

WAP

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

What is router 2 connected to?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
maybe you could draw your setup as it make no sense.

With the hub in modem mode NAT loopback is done by your router if supported.

---------------------------------------------------------------

routing IMG.png

Drew up the ethernet routing via paint quickly if that helps.

Edit: Yes I know via the modem mode NAT Loopback would be done via router.

If virgin has a Hub with NAT Loopback then the set up would be drastically simpler and would remove the worries of the party using that first router.

why do you have 2 routers?
router 2 should really just be a switch.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

I have a second router and I just use it to bridge the connection. I have never had an issue in the past this way. and by no means is it the best way to do it. I can also use it to extend the WIFI range should I need to. but the issue im running into is the first PC looses NET all together after Tarkov. although it is the only thing to loose internet (which leads me to believe its more the PC atm but it only does it when room to is added to the mix) Before the game tarkov is run the entire thing is perfect 0 issues at all.

bridging the connection is fine, but it should be acting as a router, so if you can disable routing functions and just use it as a switch with WIFI then you should do that.

adding room 2 to the mix with a second router can cause multiple issues, and until you disable routing on router 2 you won't know if that's the root cause.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

And I’m struggling to see what any of this has to do with NAT Loopback - it doesn’t mean what I suspect you think it means.

Get shot of that second router and replace it with a simple switch and wireless access point (or as suggested above disable all of the routing and NAT functions on it).

just to confirm your referring to DHCP? Because disabling that function the issue still persisted and by default to avoid conflict that's normally one of the first things I do when I set up with the two routers.