cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to connect new hub

Pseudonym
Joining in

As part of negotiating a better price deal I am being sent a Hub 4.  My system works more than adequately so don’t want the hassle of setting it up , new passwords etc….is there any reason why I can’t just leave my system alone and put the hub 4 in a drawer unused? 
thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it depends if you have upgraded to the 1gb package as part of your negotiations with VM. If so then you will need the Hub4 as far as I understand.  Otherwise I am not clear. why they sent you one. 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as above if you have gone to 1gig - the other thing that might happen is that they turn your old hub off and activate the hub4 - that does not always happen but does in some cases after a few days/weeks

if they do that you can ring and get them to reactivate the old hub - they huff and puff and some agents say its not possible but it is- just be insistent

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks both

i think the essence of my question is…..if I get gig1 but leave hub 3 in place will I still get WiFi as now ?

thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you get 1 gig you need the hub4 for the speed - no idea if you stuck with the hub3 what would happen - they would try and upload the 1gig config file which would fail as its not compatible with the hub3

whether that would feed back and the system would turn off the 3 and activate the 4 - who knows

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks

will installing hub 4 mean I need to change WiFi passwords on phones, iPad etc.

thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Pseudonym wrote:

Thanks

will installing hub 4 mean I need to change WiFi passwords on phones, iPad etc.

thanks

yes and no - if you leave it as it came with default passwords and ssid then you will have to change them on every device however if you change them in the hub4 to what the hub3 is now then all devices should just connect to the 4 once its activated

Tony.
Sacked VIP