Highlighted
achenery604
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Disconnects during upload

Hi,

I am currently on the VIVID 200 plan with the Superhub 3.0

I have recently been backing up data to cloud storage over the past few days. It has been a slow process (around 1.4 MB/s) for around 500 GB of data. However, as of Friday, I noticed my upload was interrupted. Upon resuming the upload, after around 700 MB of upload, my Superhub 3.0 would flash and apparently restart causing me to lose all connectivity for a few minutes. This is a highly reproducible event and now I cannot continue my data backup.

When not uploading, my connection is normal and stable. As soon as I try to upload anything the above happens. As far as I understand, there is no traffic management in terms of upload limits or am I missing something in the fine print of the policy under "Other traffic management measures":

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-broadband-traffic-management-policy

"We monitor usage to identify your total volumes of data usage (but not specific applications or content). Where we have agreed with you to provide volume based billing we may use reasonable traffic management to enforce any agreed caps on data usage"

My question is whether I have reached some kind of data upload cap? Does this coincide with some peak hours limit on the weekend? Or is something faulty going on with my hub?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disconnects during upload

The router mode was not designed for long uploading you may need to use modem mode.

And even in modem mode with your own router you may need to QoS under the limit to not buffer rate limit in the hub.

0 Kudos
achenery604
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. I have tried modem mode (without a using my own router) and still run into the same issue.

It had been running for about 4 days (Monday-Thursday) so it was still getting the job done albeit slowly. I'll try again in a few days but I'm wondering if this problem has been experienced by anyone else.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There should be no problems with a long upload in router mode. Much more likely it’s  a circuit problem. Please post your power levels.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
achenery604
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I seemed to have managed to get the upload to continue. I switched to WiFi (instead of ethernet) in router mode and for whatever reason it's not causing the restarts. Here are my power levels:

1.JPG2.JPG

0 Kudos
achenery604
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well, I spoke too soon. Experienced a restart after 2.5 hr of transfer. on WiFI

Is my upstream power level too low?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Upstream power is near the top of (but in) the "normal" range but all are on 16qam - A superuser should comment on whether this might cause your issue.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello achenery604, 

Welcome to our community forum page, it's great to have you on board. 

I'm very sorry that you have been experiencing some problems when uploading data to your online cloud storage. 

I've checked your power levels and ran diagnostics from our side and everything looks to be in the right place. 

When your upload is interrupted are you still able to access other websites? 

Regards, 

Dean C

0 Kudos
achenery604
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dean_C,

Thanks for looking into the issue.

Oddly enough, as of Sunday evening, my upload has been proceeding uninterrupted. It seems I was not able to upload anything between Friday- mid Sunday. Is this to do with possible peak times affecting something that I'm unaware of? Are power levels affected by increased demand on the network?

When the issue occurs, my hub completely loses all connectivity with flashing lights, as if it is restarting. I am unable to access the internet for a few minutes.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi achenery604, 

It's good to know that there hasn't been any problems since Sunday.

We don’t use traffic management  meaning you can download and upload as much as you like without traffic management slowing you down.

With your Vivid 200 package you should expect upload speeds of 12Mbps. 

I would recommend that you continue to monitor your connection and upload speeds over the next week. 

Please keep me posted with the results. 

Dean C 

0 Kudos