cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dhcp Automatic rule creation problem

Neo_Angelo
Joining in

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up a dhcp reserved IP address for my ps5.

Whenever I go to set the reservation rule my ps5 mac address is given 192.168.0.254 automatically and whenever I delete this rule (I did not add it to begin with) to give it the IP I want, the moment it finishes the delete process its there again with the 254.

I'm trying to give it .21 as the ip address as that's where I've port forwarded all the things I need.

Steps I've taken so far:

Ps5 connected via Cat8 ethernet and been manually assigned 192.168.0.21 on the ps5 itself and dns servers 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8 are set.

On the hub 3 I've done all port forwarding to 21 and I'm just trying to reserve the 21 ip for my ps5s mac on the hub3 but for some reason shows up as it being assigned 254 (I double checked the mac address and it matches ps5s).

Also what's odd is if I add the rule, firstly it says its already in use, and if I assign it using the ps5s wifi mac it then doesn't show up in connected devices.

Another odd thing is that on the dhcp settings page, it shows all connected devices, now it only shows my phone yet there's 3 devices total connected the other 2 are my ps5 and my tv both via ethernet.

On the main page of the router status screen I've named each device so I know what's what. But on the dhcp page it'll show "Asus phone" but will not show "ps5" or "TV" on there despite them being on and connected even though it shows the ps5 mac address as a reserved rule.

My question is, am I just being an idiot and because its ethernetted will show up on the DHCP page as .254 because its via LAN cable or if that's not the case, why when I try to delete that rule so I can create a new one with the IP I want, does it not delete and keep re-adding the reserved ip rule of .254?

Will it cause issues if Its not changed to .21 as I manually have it set on my ps5 to .21 and why is it automatically creating rules on the hub that are incorrect if I've manually set it to .21 on my ps5?

Many thanks for the help and advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Sounds like a bug

setting manually on the device is unlikely to cause any problems so just do that

then check the port forwarding works  - game works all okay 

job done 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

Sounds like a bug

setting manually on the device is unlikely to cause any problems so just do that

then check the port forwarding works  - game works all okay 

job done 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I think you are right,after performing a few resets on the router and powering off my ps5. Then rebooting both, somehow it then let me delete the rule and add the correct rule in.

Very odd though, it took about 2 resets of both before it let me delete it.

Thanks for the reply, everything seems to be working as it should :).

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Neo_Angelo

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Great to hear this is all sorted and working for you now. I hope you have a great weekend!

Please be sure to contact us if you require any further assistance.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs