Menu
LJMag
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Devices won’t connect to new booster

I received my booster pack at the start of the week and have installed the booster by following the instructions on the Connect app which confirms that the booster is set up correctly. However, no device will pick up the booster when they come into range. Has anyone else had this issue. Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Devices won’t connect to new booster

Hi LJMag, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community forums 🙂

Sorry you're having some trouble connecting, can you conform the following for me-

Have you connected the booster into a main wall socket?

Are the lights on the booster, red/ green etc?

Have you tried manually searching for the booster on the device?

Get back to me when you can.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
LJMag
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this Alex. It’s plugged into the mai s and I have gone though the process of setting up the booster again through the Connect app. All looks good and I can see the booster on the app, with a green light however it says no connected devices and none of the devices near it have connected. Should the devices connect automatically or should we need to connect them to a different ssid? There is only a white light on display. Not sure what else to try so all and nay suggestions welcome!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ljmag,

Thank you for reaching out to us via our app.

I am sorry to hear you still cannot get your devices connected via your booster,

There should be a green light with a WiFi symbol, press the button on the side to turn WiFi on.

Here is some more information around our boosters

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-booster-troubleshooting .

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is possible that the boosters are working properly but what you have stumbled across is an annoying fact that wifi connections don't actually work they way most people think they do. What I mean is that if a device is connected to a wifi access point broadcasting a particular SSID, unless you have an expensive intelligent managed system, (which this isn't), then devices tend to stick to that access point until the signal degrades to a very low level even if there is another AP broadcasting a stronger signal with the same SSID. You might expect it to notice the stronger signal and hop onto it - they generally don't.

So what we want to do as an experiment is to force the issue. Take a laptop or phone close to the main hub and make sure it connects to the wifi OK. If it does then check that the booster is showing all the proper lights and claims to be working. Then disable the wifi on the laptop, take it close to the booster and turn the wifi back on. If all's working OK then the laptop will attach to the stronger of the signals which should be the one from the booster. If not then probably there really is a fault somewhere else that needs investigating but at least this possibility has been eliminated.

If you want a solution where you can move a device around and it will automatically hop to the strongest signal, the you will need to invest in a proper meshed wifi system or even a managed set of wired access points (which don't come cheap)
0 Kudos
LJMag
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul, I think I have it working now, but with just one device. Thanks for all of your help.

0 Kudos
LJMag
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jem101, thanks for this, and all makes sense! I suspect that it was a combination of the the device not letting go of the weaker signal from the box that it originally connected with. So a combination of turning the WiFi on the device off and then back on again when near the booster, and playing about with the WiFi and WPS buttons seem to have done the trick! Really appreciate all of your help! 

0 Kudos