cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices on Wifi not communicating with each other

equalparts
Joining in

Hi there,

We had our fibre installed at our business last week (after 6-month wait).

The incoming connection is good and devices are connected to it - however they don't seem to be able to see each other or communicate with each other

For example, laptop cannot see wireless printer on the same network - we are a hospitality business which uses point of sale on ipads, and the ipads can't see each other

Help very much appreciated

10 REPLIES 10

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Sounds like you need to contact VM Business https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/existing-customers/customer-area/ 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Yeah have tried that and not much help so far. Don't get much further than 'there is internet coming in, everything else is your problem'

As a guess when trying to connect to a printer try and ensure both laptop and printer are on the same frequency (eg 2.4 GHz). Splitting frequencies can help with this. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check the IP address of the devices and printer, all should be on the same subnet for communication to would. The nnn.nnn.nnn part of the IP address shod be the same.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks, is there a router setting that would put everything on one subnet?

Client62
Legend

Are you seeing IP across 2 subnets E.g. 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx ?

You mentioned business,  which Hub do you have ? It is a Residential Hub 3/4/5 or a Hitron model ?

Domestic Hub's do not have any way to control the DHCP ranges on 2.4 / 5 Ghz.

Thanks, I can see that all the connected devices are on different IP addresses, trying to work out the setting that changes that.

It's a CHITA router

Client62
Legend

We see domestic Hub 5 customers report the WiFi devices connected on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands can not contact each other. E.g. A laptop on 5GHz can not ping or print to a WiFi printer on the 2.4Ghz band.

Could this also be the same situation you have with the Hitron ?

The fix for this is to add a dual band WiFi access point or use a 3rd Party WiFi Router that can be configured with AP isolation disabled on both 2.4 & 5Ghz to enable the traffic to pass between devices on the WiFi bands.

Everything's connected to the 2.4Ghz connection - so essentially we can't use this a wifi router?

Thanks for the help it is appreciated