cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices not connecting to virgin hub, please help

demonfox1987
Joining in

Hey, I am having some problems with my internet at home. I have two separate internet connections and two different routers from two different service provider's. One is virgin media, the other is provided by SKY. None of my devices including phone, tablet or pc will connect to the virgin hub. For the first 3 months or so, it worked perfectly and then all of a sudden 3 days ago I started getting problems. My devices all automatically connect to the SKY router and for some reason will not change WIFI connection. I've tried multiple things to solve the problem but with no luck. I have switched off/ reset the virgin hub. I've also told my phone and tablet to forget the sky network WiFi connection and password. On my pc I did a command prompt to block the WiFi signal from sky. None of this has worked so far. The only thing that did work...was completely powering down the sky router all together by unplugging it from it's power source. When I do this my devices will then switch to virgin and get the full speed and basically work correctly. As soon as the sky router is powered back on, they auto switch back on their own to the much slower sky WiFi The thing is, my phone and pc also tell me that I am connected to virgin...even when it's clearly not. I can click the virgin signal, type in my router password and it connects...but when I do a speed test on Ookla it tells me that my connection is sky, and I'm only getting around 60mb(my virgin connection is 350mb). If I turn off the sky router and wait a minute or two, and speed test again..I get a virgin connection and usually pretty close to full speeds mostly around 250-300mb. The problem is I can't permanently disconnect sky as I live with my parents and the other internet belongs to them. I specifically got separate WiFi for gaming but at the moment I'm paying for something that's not even working correctly. Is there a way I can fix this, can some one please help provide me with some info and she'd some light on the matter. Thanks in advance 

20 REPLIES 20

Client62
Hero

"On my pc I did a command prompt to block the WiFi signal from sky."

That is a handy command, can you share that please ?

"My devices all automatically connect to the SKY router"

When devices have connection profiles for both the VM Hub and the Sky Router the device is free to select which ever has the stronger signal.

Remove the Sky Router's WiFi profile ( or set it to not auto connect )  from the devices and their only option will be to connect to the VM Hub

"I do a speed test on Ookla it tells me that my connection is sky"

Devices are reverting to the Sky Router, its signal might be a bit stronger.

I already did forget the sky WiFi from my devices, and it still connects to it, even when I have not typed the password in

We are missing something quite key.

Devices can not connect to a password protected Sky Router without having the connection details.

Is there a Sky app on your devices that is re-creating the WiFi connection to the Sky Router ?

Yeah, I know this...and I did forget the password from my devices. So, basically it tells me I am connected to virgin...the WiFi name is called VM and then numbers on the end. When I speed test, Ookla says the connection is still sky, and I am getting the much noticeable slower speed from sky. My sky is only 67mb while the virgin media signal is 350mb. 

Can't you just turn off the WiFi on the Sky router? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I wish I could, but other people in the house use it

Then they and you will have to clear all the WiFi connections on each device and set a new connection to the required router. 

Use different new passwords for the two routers just to be certain, although that shouldn't be necessary if the phone settings have been properly cleared. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@demonfox1987 wrote:

Yeah, I know this...and I did forget the password from my devices. So, basically it tells me I am connected to virgin...the WiFi name is called VM and then numbers on the end. When I speed test, Ookla says the connection is still sky, and I am getting the much noticeable slower speed from sky. My sky is only 67mb while the virgin media signal is 350mb. 

What your saying is not possible...🤔 do you have any WiFi repeaters?

---------------------------------------------------------------

1) Do the devices have any Sky apps on them that could be re-creating the Sky Router connection ?  ( Look at installed apps before saying no ! )

2) Do the Sky Router and the Virgin Media Hub have different SSID / Passwords ?   ( Check to be quite sure )