cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices disconnecting

Pinkman1
Tuning in

I have had virgin broadband for 5 months.  I have had 4 hubs and none of them keep my devices connected.

constantly have to turn devices off and on to hopefully reconnect, which they do for a day or so.

if I reboot router Hub 5 - nothing connects

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see this
_________

Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your speedy response

I do not have any devices connected by ethernet, but when the devices drop out, I am getting full speed 260 mph from Speedtest.net

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That doesnt give any data as to whether it is a connection/network issue or just a wifi problem.

Can you do....

...... "if you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

If it disconnects on an ethernet cable come back here for more asistance - if the ethernet connections remain connected whilst the wifi one drops - see this...

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max & https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi 

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @Pinkman1 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues with your service and thank you to jbrennand for their help and advise here.

Have you been able to try the steps in their latest reply? 

Thank you for your reply - I do not have anything connected via ethernet.

The drop outs are random on wifi with speed being constant at around 260 mps

I am still getting the issue where devices disconnect randomly

Thank you @Pinkman1 I can see that the Hub has been up for around 20 days, are you able to perform a full factory reset for us? 

To do this, push a pen etc into the 'reset' hole at the back of the Hub and hold in for 60 seconds. 

Thanks again