cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device has low signal strength

AndreaGa
Settling in

When I diagnosed my router due to a few problems (high ping and often disconnection) every device has low signal strength. Does anybody know how to improve this?

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What issues are this causing you?

What Hub model is it?

Presumably happening on wifi devices... but located how far from the Hub and what is the size/construction materials of you property?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It is making online gameplay near enough unplayable, I think its the hub 3 and its a small enough house but even tivo boxes connected approximately 2-2.5 metres away are having the same issue. It also keeps turning off I assume because the signal goes off on all devices at the same time approximately 4 times per day.

It will say that for all devices even those right next to the hub.

Gaming should be done hardwired not over Wifi. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

The router is downstairs, I have no way of connecting an Etherley cable without running about 25 meters of ethernet cable around the walls

@AndreaGa wrote:

The router is downstairs, I have no way of connecting an Etherley cable without running about 25 meters of ethernet cable around the walls

So there is a way then? 🙂

Unless you get some better Wifi equipment to suit your needs/requirements, which even then won’t be perfect by any sense, then you need to run some cables. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Are the devices actually disconnecting from the wifi or is it a case that they are still connected to the wifi but the Internet connection is dropping? With numerous devices dropping at same time (especially close up), it could be in my opinion that you are losing Internet connection to the router.

Regarding low signal strength, the only option really is to position the router in a way that its not obstructed by walls and items. Repositioning the router in the house usually isn't an option due to the limited amount of coax cable you get.

Apart from that the only real viable options are pods from virgin, which I've never used so I can't recommend either good or bad,  like previous posters have said ethernet cables which you have said is not an option,  or spending money on a 3rd party router or mesh router system and putting the hub in modem mode.

It could also be that you have too many devices connected to 1 or both wifi channels and thus running out of channel bandwidth., which could be solved by splitting the wifi channels to 2.4g and 5g and assigning some devices to the 5g channel. Putting the devices what are like 2m away onto an ethernet connection might also reduce the wifi bandwidth usage.

In my house, my router is near my tv, so have tv, ps5, xbox series x and smart bulb hub plugged into ethernet for this reason.

Some people like powerlines, but for me they might be a stable connection but they don't give the speed that other options give. I think now with the mesh router systems, powerlines are obsolete.

I'd 1st make sure the Internet connection is stable 1st before anything else, if its not then it might need an engineer to come and look at it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As Gary said - gaming should always be done via ethernet cable connection. There is a cheap and cheerful solution that may well work for you.

My lad is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go, but running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well. Or some PA’s have built in wifi too.

See...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your post @AndreaGa, and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums

Do you utilise any Ethernet cables on the connection currently, even for devices close to the hub that are struggling?

Alternatively, have you possibly considered taking out either Wi-Fi pods or possibly moving the Hub closer to the games console to have an Ethernet cable connected to the console - and not having to run a long Ethernet cable around the property?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn